Cannot Install Birdie to MPC

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
jamsnax

Cannot Install Birdie to MPC

Post by jamsnax »

I have a Mobile 5.0 phone and had Birdie working fine with Thunderbird 2.0 and Lightning .50.

On the following day, I got a message saying that the version of Lightning was not compatible with Birdie. So I tried to reinstall everything. I took everything off PC and MPC and tried to reinstall.

Now activesync shows that Birdie is not installed, but when I run the installation my MPC says "Installation of Callcia BirdieSync.CAB was unsuccessful"

Any ideas on how to get Birdie installed on the mobile?

BTW there are no logs being written to my Birdie installation folder (C:\Program Files\BirdieSync)!?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

There is a problem on windows Mobile 5.0 which could prevent BirdieSync from being properly uninstalled (which is automatically done if you install a new version of BirdieSync on the mobile). Could you try to uninstall BirdieSync on the mobile before installing the new version followings the instructions given in this thread ?
Birdy

jamsnax

Unable to manually delete the program

Post by jamsnax »

Hi Birdie,

I tried to follow the thread. I soft rebooted and went to file manager to delete the executable. Unfortunately is always says that the program is a 'sharing violation'. Even if I am very quick after the soft reboot.

The thread says something about settings > suppress programs, but my version of settings does not have this program on any tab.

Any other ideas on how to remove the sharing violation on the Birdie app?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Do you have a Windows Mobile 5.0 device ?
In the mobile start menu, if you choose "Settings", you should then have 3 tabs. If you choose "System", you should get an icon with "Remove programs". Couldn't you find it ?
Birdy

jamsnax

Installing Birdie - Fixed Now!

Post by jamsnax »

Hi Birdie,

Unfortunately I do not have that interface (curious, huh?)

I was able to rename the Birdie app and logfile, manually remove Birdie from my mobile startup group, and then manually delete the files.

Starting from scratch and reinstalling everything according to the forum thread instructions did the trick.

Everything works now, I am now syncing properly.

Thanks for the help.