Problem with security policy

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
toutoune60

Problem with security policy

Post by toutoune60 »

When installing BirdieSync 1.2.1.0, I always get this error :
"Impossible to read the security policy of the mobile".

My unlocked spv c500 is connected to activesync via Bluetooth. Is it the problem?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

I don't think so. I realize my tests with Bluetooth.
You should find a file named BirdieSyncInstall.log in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp or in the %TEMP% variable directory. Is this file empty ? If it is not, could you send it to support@birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.
Birdy

toutoune60

Post by toutoune60 »

Unfortunatelry, this file is empty :(

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

OK. Normally an error should be logged in installation log. I will do some tests on my own to check these traces. I'm not sure it properly works because I was also informed about other warnings which are not logged. I keep you informed shortly.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I found the problem regarding the traces. I will send you a new build. Use it for the installation and send me back the BirdieSyncInstall.log so that I can try to analyze the problem.
Birdy

toutoune60

Post by toutoune60 »

Ok now, with the new version, I can install BirdieSync on my computer but... as you said, I can't select the items in ActiveSync. Is this due to the fact that my c500 is not unlocked properly? Do you know which tool I could use to unlock it?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Yes, the C500 is very likely not unlocked. I know they are tools to unlock it.
Have a look to Modaco forum: http://www.modaco.com/ You can have very useful information regarding Pocket PC and Smartphones, especially about unlocking !
Here is the forum regarding the C500:
http://www.modaco.com/HTC-Typhoon-and-V ... m-f61.html
If you have problem unlocking it, contact me again, and I will give you more precise information to do it.
Birdy

toutoune60

Post by toutoune60 »

My c500 is now properly unlocked but options in ActiveSync still can't be checked. Where can I find the BirdieSync log file ?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Does it mean that you have no warning (pop up window) when you install BirdieSync ? Is the file BirdieSyncInstall.log located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp empty ?

Also, when you install an unsigned application, do you have a prompt on the mobile asking you an authorization to execute it ?
Birdy

toutoune60

Post by toutoune60 »

Birdy wrote:Does it mean that you have no warning (pop up window) when you install BirdieSync ?
Just the new warning saying "It seems that your mobile doesn't allow execution of unsigned applications in privileged mode..."
Birdy wrote:Is the file BirdieSyncInstall.log located in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp empty ?
Yes !
Birdy wrote:Also, when you install an unsigned application, do you have a prompt on the mobile asking you an authorization to execute it ?
Not anymore since I have installed the Orange unlocking program that they have sent me today

:idea:

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The problem with the Orange program is that it doesn't fully unlock your mobile. It is rather for developpers. Actually, it very likely only allows you to install a privilege certificate to test development. The best way is to find a signed version of a registry editor and to apply the changes I describe in the "How to unlock a mobile" post.
Birdy

toutoune60

Post by toutoune60 »

All right, it seems to work now with these modifications :

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Policies\Policies\

00001005: 16 (to allow installation of unsigned applications)
00001006: 1 (to allow the launch of unsigned applications)
0000101a: 1 (to avoid prompting for unsigned applications)
0000101b: 1 (to allow execution of privileged unsigned applications) 
The Orange tool was not enough!
Thanks a lot Birdy and now let's try this great software!