Syncronisation Thunderbird (portable) PDA (Windows Mobile)

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
Gerd

Syncronisation Thunderbird (portable) PDA (Windows Mobile)

Post by Gerd »

First I want to describe my circumstances. I use portable Thunderbird on some Windows Computers and even at home on my Ubuntu Linux mashine (using only the profils, works fine).
Now I have a T-Mobile MDA (PDA with Windows Mobile). I want to synchronise it with the data in my portable thunderbird profile.
I have tried using activesync with birdiesync. The problem is, that you cant define the right paths for the syncronisation with the portable app.
Maybe someone knows a way to syncronise a PDA with portable thunderbird, or maybe, you can put it on the wish list (with the normal Thunderbird everthing works fine!)
(U3 is not really, what i want, because the limitations of this system.)
waiting hopefully for an answer
Gerd

sorry for my bad english :(

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

This feature belongs to the next ones that will be implemented after the new version of BirdieSync with appointments is released (it means very soon). I think it will be possible to manually set the profile path and so to use a portable version of Thunderbird.
Birdy

Gerd

Sounds good

Post by Gerd »

I just have to wait for the next release.
Thanks for informing me so far. Now I dont have to spend time on searching other solutions...

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I would be interested in knowing the path to your profile of your portable Thunderbird. Could you give me this path at present time ?
I also suppose that this path is related to your USB key device letter. Is it generally the same each time you plug it ?
Birdy

Gerd

Post by Gerd »

1.The portable profiles of thunderbird (same as sunbird) are always in the following folder:
(USB Letter):\Portable Thunderbird\profile
(USB Letter):\Portable Sunbird\profile
They ore not called for example „fb13of17.default“
As you allready anticipated, the letter of the USB Device is not generally the same. (There exists a kind of start-menu, called Pstart, to have links, that work with every letter.)

2.The .exe file for the portable apps is usually called portablethunderbird.exe and not thunderbird.exe

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thanks for the information ! I see better how it works. I think the main problem will be to easily guess the drive number... I will try to investigate on that.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Here it is ! Now BirdieSync supports Portable Thunderbird. :D You can have a look to beta version 1.1.0.2
I hope you'll enjoy it !
Birdy

jonnysixgun

birdie and portable thunderbird

Post by jonnysixgun »

I use portable thunderbird running from my hard drive.
Can I use birdiesync with that?
I don't see a way to set the path.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

By now BirdieSync doesn't support portable Thunderbird when it is installed on an internal hard drive.
There is a workaround though. You could refer to this thread.
Birdy