Comments on procedure to install, upgrade or uninstall

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Robert

Comments on procedure to install, upgrade or uninstall

Post by Robert »

I've just tried following these instructions to upgrade from 1.6.3 to 1.6.4
Nothing actually went wrong, but following these instructions was not fun :(

Upgrading is uninstalling then re-installing. OK. And the first step
to uninstall is to close Thunderbird and Sunbird. OK some more.

Then "Run the uninstaller". Which says that I need to start by configuring ActiveSync to
disable the link to Thunderbird/Sunbird. But those configuration options are only available
if the PDA is connected. And connecting the PDA will re-start Thunderbird and Sunbird, which
these instructions just told me to stop... What now? Do I follow these instructions, or do
what the uninstaller it telling me? Aaargh!

I stick with the instructions and tell the uninstaller to just get on with it. It says it is happy.
Then these instructions tell me to launch Thunderbird to remove the BirdieSync extension
from the current profile. It's underlined, so it must be important, right? But when I launch
Thunderbird, there is no sign at all of the extension I have to remove. So I have to
skip that instruction, even though it is underlined and extra important... "Aaargh!" some more!

Oh, and the uninstaller also misdirects you for removing BirdieSync from the PDA: the screen/tool
to use is "Settings / System / Remove Programs".

But I seem to have uninstalled it, so now I try to re-install. And (re-)discover that this is only
possible if my account has Administrator permissions. It's no use trying to run the installer
as another user, because it wants to talk to the PDA, and the PDA is busy talking to me...

So I have to log out, change my account permissions and start the install again. Joy!

The actual upgrade was painless, and seems to have worked. But these instructions made it
stressful and confusing! Someone who knows what steps are actually necessary really should
re-visit them...

Robert.
--
Robert Inder
Edinburgh

cfink

Re: Procedure to install, upgrade or uninstall BirdieSync

Post by cfink »

I am unable to install birdiesync 1.6.4.0 under vista. I followed all instructions. My PDA was synchronized before I start the installation process. Nevertheless i get the error "impossible to stop wdmc" and the installation stops. Can you help me?

This is the log.file

Local 30/12/2007 21:45:17::0743 ERROR: Error in locating beginning while extracting value: buffer = <object class = "Preference"><addressBookIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></addressBookIdList><defaultAddressBookId><![CDATA[]]></defaultAddressBookId><isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><![CDATA[1]]></isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><calendarIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></calendarIdList><defaultCalendarId><![CDATA[]]></defaultCalendarId><isCalendarLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isCalendarLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><mailFolderIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></mailFolderIdList><calendarPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodNumber><calendarPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodUnit><calendarApplication><![CDATA[3]]></calendarApplication><applicationPath><![CDATA[]]></applicationPath><isPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isPortable><profile><![CDATA[]]></profile><storageId><![CDATA[]]></storageId><sunbirdApplicationPath><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdApplicationPath><isSunbirdPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isSunbirdPortable><sunbirdProfile><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdProfile><sunbirdStorageId><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdStorageId><frequencyNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyNumber><frequencyUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyUnit><mailBodyMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailBodyMaximumSize><isMailAttachmentSynchronized><![CDATA[1]]></isMailAttachmentSynchronized><mailAttachmentMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailAttachmentMaximumSize><mailPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodNumber><mailPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodUnit><synchronizationStartAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationStartAlert><synchronizationEndAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationEndAlert></object>, beginning = <mailIdentityId><![CDATA[ (GetLastError = 0)
Local 30/12/2007 21:45:17::0749 ERROR: Error in locating beginning while extracting value: buffer = <object class = "Preference"><addressBookIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></addressBookIdList><defaultAddressBookId><![CDATA[]]></defaultAddressBookId><isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><![CDATA[1]]></isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><calendarIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></calendarIdList><defaultCalendarId><![CDATA[]]></defaultCalendarId><isCalendarLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isCalendarLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><mailFolderIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></mailFolderIdList><calendarPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodNumber><calendarPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodUnit><calendarApplication><![CDATA[3]]></calendarApplication><applicationPath><![CDATA[]]></applicationPath><isPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isPortable><profile><![CDATA[]]></profile><storageId><![CDATA[]]></storageId><sunbirdApplicationPath><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdApplicationPath><isSunbirdPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isSunbirdPortable><sunbirdProfile><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdProfile><sunbirdStorageId><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdStorageId><frequencyNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyNumber><frequencyUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyUnit><mailBodyMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailBodyMaximumSize><isMailAttachmentSynchronized><![CDATA[1]]></isMailAttachmentSynchronized><mailAttachmentMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailAttachmentMaximumSize><mailPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodNumber><mailPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodUnit><synchronizationStartAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationStartAlert><synchronizationEndAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationEndAlert></object>, beginning = <isImmediateMailSending><![CDATA[ (GetLastError = 0)
Local 30/12/2007 21:45:17::0752 ERROR: Error in locating beginning while extracting value: buffer = <object class = "Preference"><addressBookIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></addressBookIdList><defaultAddressBookId><![CDATA[]]></defaultAddressBookId><isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><![CDATA[1]]></isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><calendarIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></calendarIdList><defaultCalendarId><![CDATA[]]></defaultCalendarId><isCalendarLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isCalendarLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><mailFolderIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></mailFolderIdList><calendarPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodNumber><calendarPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodUnit><calendarApplication><![CDATA[3]]></calendarApplication><applicationPath><![CDATA[]]></applicationPath><isPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isPortable><profile><![CDATA[]]></profile><storageId><![CDATA[]]></storageId><sunbirdApplicationPath><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdApplicationPath><isSunbirdPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isSunbirdPortable><sunbirdProfile><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdProfile><sunbirdStorageId><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdStorageId><frequencyNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyNumber><frequencyUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyUnit><mailBodyMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailBodyMaximumSize><isMailAttachmentSynchronized><![CDATA[1]]></isMailAttachmentSynchronized><mailAttachmentMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailAttachmentMaximumSize><mailPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodNumber><mailPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodUnit><synchronizationStartAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationStartAlert><synchronizationEndAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationEndAlert></object>, beginning = <checkSelectionNotEmpty><![CDATA[ (GetLastError = 0)
Local 30/12/2007 21:45:17::0757 ERROR: Error in locating beginning while extracting value: buffer = <object class = "Preference"><addressBookIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></addressBookIdList><defaultAddressBookId><![CDATA[]]></defaultAddressBookId><isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isAddressBookLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedAddressBookCategoryExcluded><isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><![CDATA[1]]></isAddressBookDisplayNameFilled><calendarIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></calendarIdList><defaultCalendarId><![CDATA[]]></defaultCalendarId><isCalendarLinkedToCategory><![CDATA[0]]></isCalendarLinkedToCategory><isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><![CDATA[0]]></isUnmatchedCalendarCategoryExcluded><mailFolderIdList class = "list" numberOfItems = "0"></mailFolderIdList><calendarPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodNumber><calendarPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></calendarPastPeriodUnit><calendarApplication><![CDATA[3]]></calendarApplication><applicationPath><![CDATA[]]></applicationPath><isPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isPortable><profile><![CDATA[]]></profile><storageId><![CDATA[]]></storageId><sunbirdApplicationPath><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdApplicationPath><isSunbirdPortable><![CDATA[0]]></isSunbirdPortable><sunbirdProfile><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdProfile><sunbirdStorageId><![CDATA[]]></sunbirdStorageId><frequencyNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyNumber><frequencyUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></frequencyUnit><mailBodyMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailBodyMaximumSize><isMailAttachmentSynchronized><![CDATA[1]]></isMailAttachmentSynchronized><mailAttachmentMaximumSize><![CDATA[25]]></mailAttachmentMaximumSize><mailPastPeriodNumber><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodNumber><mailPastPeriodUnit><![CDATA[-1]]></mailPastPeriodUnit><synchronizationStartAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationStartAlert><synchronizationEndAlert><![CDATA[1]]></synchronizationEndAlert></object>, beginning = <checkSelectionNoConflict><![CDATA[ (GetLastError = 0)

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Robert,

Thank you for having taken the time to provide a feedback on the upgrade process. I hope that it will be lightened in a next version of BirdieSync. Actually some steps were specified to workaround some problems in Windows Mobile and Thunderbird/Sunbird...
By now, I will try to update this description to take into account your remarks.
Then "Run the uninstaller". Which says that I need to start by configuring ActiveSync to
disable the link to Thunderbird/Sunbird. But those configuration options are only available
if the PDA is connected. And connecting the PDA will re-start Thunderbird and Sunbird, which
these instructions just told me to stop... What now? Do I follow these instructions, or do
what the uninstaller it telling me? Aaargh!
You are right. If you reconnect your mobile, it will relaunch Thunderbird and Sunbird which can be confusing... Some tests will be done to see if the step to unselect BirdieSync options in ActiveSync/WMDC options is really necessary.
I stick with the instructions and tell the uninstaller to just get on with it. It says it is happy.
Then these instructions tell me to launch Thunderbird to remove the BirdieSync extension
from the current profile. It's underlined, so it must be important, right? But when I launch
Thunderbird, there is no sign at all of the extension I have to remove. So I have to
skip that instruction, even though it is underlined and extra important... "Aaargh!" some more!
Actually, starting Thunderbird is enough to remove the extension. This is the usual Thunderbird mechanism to remove third party extension. So you don't have to do anything more than starting Thunderbird to remove the extension.
Oh, and the uninstaller also misdirects you for removing BirdieSync from the PDA: the screen/tool
to use is "Settings / System / Remove Programs".
The instructions were for the desktop ActiveSync window. But there are no longer valid for the WMDC. The instructions you mentioned work well if you want to remove BirdieSync form the Pda.
But I seem to have uninstalled it, so now I try to re-install. And (re-)discover that this is only
possible if my account has Administrator permissions. It's no use trying to run the installer
as another user, because it wants to talk to the PDA, and the PDA is busy talking to me...
Some more developments need to be done to install/update BirdieSync under a restricted user account.

Since this topic is a kind of FAQ, if you don't mind, I will very likely split it.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

> cfink:

Could you disconnect your mobile ? Then open the task manager and check that the process "WmdHost.exe" is no longer running. If it is, kill the process. Then kill the process "Wmdc.exe" and restart manually the Windows Mobile Device Center (menu Start/Control Panel and then launch the "Windows Mobile Device Center"). After that reconnect your mobile and wait for the end of the synchronization. Then relaunch the installer.

Since this topic is more a FAQ, it will be split.
Birdy

DHarry

Post by DHarry »

I don't know if this will help any one but when i first tried installing this i had the wdmc failed to stop problem.

I managed to solve it by logging everyone else off the machine and it worked after that...

oh and it's a really nice piece of software. well done birdy, i will most definitely be buying it :)