Upgraded to 1.6.7.0 now unresolved item

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
sunspots

Upgraded to 1.6.7.0 now unresolved item

Post by sunspots »

I've just upgraded to BirdieSync 1.6.7.0 and am now getting one unresolved event.

I've had a look at the logs, "DesktopProvider.log", "ThunderBirdService.log", "Transfer.log", and "Install.log". Nothing is showing up on what the event might be.

I even had a look at "BirdieWatcher.log" on the device, but nothing there either.

I have the following set up:
- Windows XP
- Thunderbird 2.0.0.9
- Lightning v0.7
- Windows Mobile 6
- HTC Touch II
- Project Informant v8.02 (used for Events, appointments, tasks, contacts)

When installing, I did not install the previous version of BirdieSync.

I tried to find a way, to say to ActiveSync/BirdieSync to replace all events on Thunderbird with the device, but could not find that option. Is it located anywhere?

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Upgraded to 1.6.7.0 now unresolved item

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

Did you have a look to DeviceProvider.log ? If you have a problem writing an event on the mobile device, you could find information in this file.
If you cannot find any relevant information, could you send me the log archive right after the end of the synchronization ?

Under XP, if you want to replace all your data on the mobile device with Thunderbird/Sunbird one, you have to delete your ActiveSync partnership, then to choose "Replace" option during the establishment of the new partnership. Note that it is not possible under Vista ("Combine" option is only available).

Don't forget to backup your data before fully resynchronizing (with a tool like PPCPimBackup for instance).
Birdy

sunspots

Post by sunspots »

Hmm, I missed that file.

I found the event in question. I tried to fix the date, as it should have been 1926 but was showing 1970. Let me explain, otherwise sounds silly to have such an event. I'm using Pocket Informant version 8.02. If you have an all day event occurring yearly it can calculate the number of years based on the initial date of the event. I was putting in my Father-In-Laws birthday into the system. So, I entered 26 Dec 1926 and it displays that for 2008 he will be 82. I had this event set up maybe one or two weeks ago and have been sync'ing about once a day, without this becoming an unresolved issue.

I changed the date from 1970 to 1926, but still continued to get the unresolved event. I then decided to delete it on the device. Deleted okay, but the sync still produced the error. I tried re-sync'ing and unplugging the device. Eventually, it gave me a conflict that the event had been modified on both the laptop and the device. I only deleted it from the device. So, I chose to send the event from the laptop to the device. But still continued to get the unresolved item message. I then deleted the event on the laptop. Resync'ed and continued to get the message two or three times more, then it was clean.

Recreated the event, with the date of 1926 on the device and resync'ed with the laptop and no errors were received. I did a resync several times over and still okay.

Do you want the "DeviceProvider.log" file?

I tried to use the archive option in BirdieSync but keep getting an error that "It was impossible to move the archive to its final destination". Tried a few times.

I do have copies of the "DeviceProvider.log" file that I can send.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you modify something to get rid of an unresolved item, it's better to reconnect the mobile to restart the full synchronization. Otherwise the error could remain even if the problem is solved.

You can send your copy of DeviceProvider.log to support(at)birdiesync.com. Maybe I will find interesting information.

Regarding the 1926 -> 1970, that could be "normal" because Lightning/Sunbird improperly managed dates before 1970. So the dates prior to 1970 are moved to this date. It seems to be improved in 0.8. So maybe BirdieSync will allow synchronization of dates before 1970.

When you add problems building the archive, could it be that the previous archive was already opened by another program (preventing the new one from overwriting the previous one) ?
Birdy

sunspots

Post by sunspots »

I've sent the log files to the support address. The subject contains the same subject as this topic.

I don't know why the archive option did not work. Yes, I guess some other program must have been locking the file. I didn't have any open in the editor at the time and can't think what else may have had it locked. I'll see if I continue to have the problem. If so, I'll raise a new topic.

Regards

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thank you for the log. The event had a deleted occurrence whose date (12/25) didn't match the recurrence pattern (every 26th of December). That's why the event couldn't be synchronized. I don't know if this problem was caused by BirdieSync or if the definition of the event was incorrect in Lightning. I would have needed the precise definition of the event in Lightning to investigate.

If you have a problem building the archive, you can send me the file LogArchiver.log located in:
XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<users name>\Application Data\BirdieSync\Log\
Vista: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync\Log
(Application Data is a hidden folder: in explorer window, you must check the option "Show hidden files and folders")

Thanks.
Birdy

sunspots

Post by sunspots »

Hi Birdy,
Okay, I know I set it up as 26 Dec and when I looked later on it was 25 Dec. Can't remember if I had sync'd it at the time and then find the anomaly. I have others defined and not a problem. I'll write it off as one of those unexplained phenomena.

I tried creating the archive log now and went without a hitch.

I'll keep an eye on both.
Thanks for the help.