Needs to sync more adress books!

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
gnyf

Needs to sync more adress books!

Post by gnyf »

just dl'ed birdiesync as I really would love to sync Thunderbird with my PocketPC.

I love this program - but I'm unable to use it as I have split my Thunderbird addresses into no less than 7 individually books - one for each category of addresses I have.

I don't think I'm unique in this matter. What I really would like to see is that I can have a list of all the address books I have and check the ones I like to syc. (ie. deselect all "business" addresses as I sync them at work with outlook)
I also need to have birdiesync to add the name of the addressbook to the category field of the address in the PocketPC!

Any chance to see this in next build?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I agree with you that synchronizing multiple address books (and calendars) would be a very interesting feature. And some internal modifications of BirdieSync were already done to prepare the integration of this feature.
But for the moment, I cannot you tell you exactly when it will be integrated, although it could be in a short future.

If this functionnality is offered, I think that in a first step, all items present on your mobile will be synchronized with Thunderbird. It means that if you have business items, you'll have to synchronize them in a "Business" address book in Thunderbird. No item on the mobile would be ignored. Would it be a problem for you ? And all the items not attached to a particular category would be synchronized in a default address book chosen by the user in preferences.

Note: This topic will be moved to "Wishes" forum.
Birdy

gnyf

Post by gnyf »

I can easily live with the "sync all" approach as an interim solution PROVIDING that the category is marked (otherwise everything will be corrupted at next sync!)

Looking forward to see this feature

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

What do you mean exactly by "providing that the category is marked" ?
Birdy

gnyf

Post by gnyf »

I mean that please make sure that the category field on the PocketPC is filled out. Otherwise all contact will end up in the "master" address book and by next sync all adresses will be duplicates in Thunderbird.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

OK I think I understand what you mean. Anyway, even if the category field would not be filled, the cards would remain attached to their address book and would not be duplicated. But we could fill this category field.
Birdy

pewe

Post by pewe »

Have you any idea when multiple address book support will be available.
I can't move over from Finchsync until it is.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It will be done right after mail synchronization which is not very far from being achieved.
Birdy

pewe

Post by pewe »

Thanks.

If it is going to be more than 21 days the trial will have expired.

How will I be able to test it out?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I understand the problem. How long would you need to test this new functionality ?
Birdy

pewe

Post by pewe »

Just a couple of days from the time I install it.

pewe

Post by pewe »

Any news on an anticipated date for release of this?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

As mentioned before, the synchronization of multiple address books and calendars will be offered right after mail synchronization whose development has entered its last testing phase. That shouldn't take too much time now...
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

New version 1.5.0.0 allows the synchronization of several address books and calendars ! :)
Birdy