Problem with Lightning 0.8

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Carter

Problem with Lightning 0.8

Post by Carter »

Hey everybody!

After updating Lightning an BirdieSync the following problem appeared:

as there is no field for birthdy-dates in Thunderbird's contacts (I know now that there is a possibility to get one, I didn't know that then), all birthdays were entered as recurrent events. After the first post-update sync, all birthdays were doubled on the desktop (not on the handheld). Every other event is okay, but the annual recurrent events are now two times on that specific day.
I tried to delete one of the two - after the next sync it was still only one event on the desktop but now two ohn the phone :?: I stopped my explorations befor getting totally out of sync... ActiveSync prompts "Attention" for events and taks without further details.

Also strange: wenn trying to edit a birthday in lightning, I get to choose between "only this event/all events of the series" (or something like that... got it in German here). But in the settings of that event, there is "repetition: never", just as if it was a singular event.

I hope I made the problem clear an I'd be grateful for any help :)

Cheers
Carter

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Lightning 0.8

Post by Birdy »

Hello Carter,

There was some change in last version of BirdieSync. Now it is possible to properly synchronize daily events with dates prior to 1/1/1970. In previous versions, these dates were changed to the year 1970. So that's why it is possible that you have duplicates (especially if you deleted the partnership and then "combine" the mobile device and desktop items). If you have duplicates, it will be necessary to manually remove them, keeping the events with a date before 1970.

What you describe me is weird. Can you send the logs to support(at)birdiesync.com with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." after the "attention required" ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Carter

Post by Carter »

Hello Birdy,

thank you for your answer.
I have my doubts about your explanation with the dates prior to 1970, because as far as I can see, the birthday-events have no starting date at all. Furthermore I don't see any difference between the duplicates, so I couldn't tell which one to remove manually.

About the logs: there is one problem - I can't send you logs from the phone before next weekend, as that will be the next time the phone and the desktop will be connected. But I got the logs from the desktop via remote and will send them to you in about one minute. Maybe you will be able to see something out of them alone.

Malte

Simon_Warner

Post by Simon_Warner »

I just entered all birthdays in Lightning and synced a few times with my PDA .... can't say I have the same problem.

Carter

Post by Carter »

Simon_Warner wrote:can't say I have the same problem.
Lucky you ;)
I've been using BirdieSync since last august. With birthdays. Syncing to two computers (using the pda like kind of a shuttle between laptop and desktop). Never a single problem occured - til now after updating to Lightning .8 and the necessary BS-update.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

the birthday-events have no starting date at all
That's really strange. I think that case should never happen... (manually you cannot create an event with no start date in Ligthning and in Pocket Outlook)

It seems that you restarted Thunderbird after the "attention required" because there are no errors in ThunderbirdService.log.
Sorry I will need the logs again copied right after the "attention required" occurs and without restarting Thunderbird.
Thanks.
Birdy

Carter

Post by Carter »

Birdy wrote:That's really strange. I think that case should never happen... (manually you cannot create an event with no start date in Ligthning and in Pocket Outlook)
Now that's even stranger - I don't even find the possibility to set a start date in Thunderbird. Only end dates or number of events.
Birdy wrote:It seems that you restarted Thunderbird after the "attention required" because there are no errors in ThunderbirdService.log.
Sorry I will need the logs again copied right after the "attention required" occurs and without restarting Thunderbird.
Thanks.
I did it again, hopefully right this time. Logs are underway.

Carter

PS: I also tried to "remove duplicates" from the Tools - didn't work. The "processing"-bar keeps running and running and nothin happens.

Carter

Post by Carter »

Hey Birdy,

just wanted to let you know that I solved that problem. As I am syncing the pda to two computers I took the storage.sdb from the laptop and replaced the corrupted one on the desktop. No more problems or duplicates, everything works fine again.

Thanks for your help anyway
Carter

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I made some tests with your database but I met no problem while synchronizing and could remove the duplicates.
Anyway, I'm glad to hear it's working now.
Birdy

sunspots

Post by sunspots »

Hi Birdie,
I read this post with interest about the dates prior to 1970. Is this problem fixed in 1.6.9 of BirdSync or 1.6.8?

Thanks

PS I went back to your release notes and can't find any mention of the 1970 issue.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Actually there is still a problem in Lightning/Sunbird regarding dates prior to 1970. Now they can be synchronized but the hours could be different on the mobile device and on the desktop. But if you synchronize all day events (which can be used for birthday for instance), that should be OK. This modification is available since 1.6.9.0.
Birdy

sunspots

Post by sunspots »

Thanks for the 1970 date fix. That is a medium size issue for me as I do have all day events (birthdays, wedding anniversaries, etc) prior to 1970.

I guess appointments prior to 1970 with times would be extremely remote.

Could you add 1970 fix to your release notes?