Birdie/activesync no longer syncing

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
foweyboy

Birdie/activesync no longer syncing

Post by foweyboy »

Hi there

I was really please when, after many, many hours of fiddling, I managed to get my XDA Orbit 2 to sync with thunderbird and lightning over bluetooth. I even managed to get it working again when lightning upgraded, and when I got the calendar working off a google calendar.

Then about a week ago, it stopped working. On the phone, it's come up with a friendly and useful error message instead of the usual activesync scree. The message is:
to synchronize your device with a desktop computer, install the synchronization software from the Getting Started Disc included with your device on your PC.

If your company supports syncing directly with its Exchange Server you can set up your device to sync with it.

Learn more about synchronizing with a server.
Of course I do have Activesync installed. In fact, after changing the com port activesync is listening on from com 7 to com 1 (for some reason now if Activesync is set to Com7 when you view the available services over bluetooth on the phone it lists a serial port but no Activesync - no idea why that suddenly stopped working). Activesync does now connect to the phone over bluetooth, abd you can explore the device, but it is listed as a Guest and doesn't sync - when you connect Activesync gives this error:
Synchonization cannot be completed successfully. Reconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, see the Microsoft Activesync help on your desktop computer
Any ideas???
BTW I'm running XP, and I have already tried turning the firewall off and re-pairing the phone and computer - but then it is actually connecting to activesync, just not as the right account, but as aguest, so I guess bluetooth is doing it's thing ok, it's probably something else, either birdiesync or activesync...

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Birdie/activesync no longer syncing

Post by Birdy »

Hello foweyboy,

After you have connected your mobile device, could you send to support(at)birdiesync.com the logs with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." ?

If you try to connect your mobile device with a USB cable does it work better or do you have the same error ?
When you said "re-pairing the phone and computer", do you mean that you tried to delete the partnership to recreate it ?

Before any operation, I suggest you to backup your data as mentioned in this thread.
Birdy

foweyboy

Post by foweyboy »

It doesn't make any difference when using a USB cable rather than over bluetooth. I tried to get birdiesync to generate the log archive so I could upload it for you but it can't - it gives this error:
Error while moving archive
It was not possible to move the archive to it's final destination "D:\My Documents\BirdieSyncLog.zip

Please check that the file is not already open in another program.
Any ideas?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

There is a glitch in the present log archiver. It doesn't accept to move an archive in a volume different from the Windows temporary folder. So maybe it you set a path beginning with "C:" it would work better.
Birdy

force_redo

Post by force_redo »

Hi,

sorry for unearthing such an old thread, but I have the same problem now. On connection it says
Synchonization cannot be completed successfully. Reconnect your device and try again. If the problem persists, see the Microsoft Activesync help on your desktop computer
Is there any known solution to this? I've been looking up and down the internets, but the only one I found was "hard reset" and I'd like to avoid this if I could.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
FR

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello force_redo,

You may first try what is mentioned in this FAQ topic.

Which firewall do you have ?
Did you try to disable or uninstall your firewall ? (sometimes disabling the firewall is not enough)
Birdy

force_redo

Post by force_redo »

Hi Birdy,

thanks for the quick reply.
I have Comodo Firewall running. I tried disabling it, but this didn't help. I don't think it's related anyways because it worked fine before.

It actually does the connection with ActiveSync fine, (I can even see my device in the file explorer) but when it comes to the point where it should start syncing my contacts and calender the aforementioned error message pops up.

I tried soft resetting a couple of times and I tried installing a new version of BirdieSync but the installation stopped also with the same error.

Is hard resetting my only way out? :(

Thanks,
FR

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Before hard reseting, send your logs to support(at)birdiesync.com. You can build them with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs...".
Birdy