Admin Rights/All Users/Installation

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
horstj

Admin Rights/All Users/Installation

Post by horstj »

Hi,
maybe i missed something in the help file/install instructions - please point me to the apropriate sections:

How do i install birdiesync, so that any user on an XP machine can sync their thunderbird appointments/contacts. the users dont have admin rights - as it should be. for other extensions in thunderbird there is the install-global-extensions switch.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

You didn't miss anything. Presently, it is only possible to install BirdieSync for the current user. I think it should be possible to modify this behavior in a next version so that BirdieSync would be installed at a "local machine" level instead of a "user" level.

But it would remain one problem: BirdieSync needs to be installed individually on the mobile device too. Would it be a problem for you ? Could you describe me your situation more precisely ?
Birdy

horstj

Post by horstj »

well that means in fact, that the programm cannot be used on xp machines? Häh?

Situation is as follows:
Default Admin User on XP machines is and should only be used to install programms and set up the machine.

Any other account/user is and should be a so called restricted user with no admin rights. these are the accounts that are used for daily work (e-mail, internet, word, graphics....) -> it is not possible to install birdiesync for a regular xp user.

Because:
If i install birdiesync as admin, the thunderbird extensions are not installed for any user (other extensions can be installed for any user - google: install-global-extensions) but only for "admin".

if i try to install birdiesync as a restricted user- not possible because xp wont let me install it.

It would be no problem to setup birdiesync for any users pocket pc, once installed on the xp machine. So maybe the "local machine" option would be the solution.

when will it be implemented?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I hope that it will be available in next release.
Birdy

josef.vanek

Installing for restricted user

Post by josef.vanek »

Hi,

I've installed it in this order:

1. add restricted users to local administrators group
2. login to user and install BirdieSync (I'm recommendig to choose some other directory than c:\program files, e.g. d:\apps with full user rights to this user)
3. in registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Callicia set Full control for users group
4. remove user from local administrators
5. logout user and login user

It works, but if I need synchronize changed items, I need to unplugg and plugg cable in my device.

Joe

horstj

Post by horstj »

i dont want to do the coders job. :)
i just want to buy a software, that runs on winxp in a way even ms handbooks for beginners are talking about: restricted daily user.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

With new version 1.4.0.0, it should be possible to install BirdieSync under an administrator account and run it under a restricted user account.
Birdy