Timezones don't match error

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
cjl

Timezones don't match error

Post by cjl »

I am using the trial version before I purchase. But I keep getting an error message stating my timezones are not the same on Thunderbird and Mobile.
Thunderbird Timezone is set to America/Chicago and my mobile ipaq 2795 wm5 is set to GMT-6 Central US

Seems like it is not recognizing GMT -6 Central US and America/Chicago as the same timezone?

What do I need to do or change these inorder to get calendar and tasks, etc to sync with BirdieSync

PSHRutPark

Re: Timezones don't match error

Post by PSHRutPark »

Same problem with me. The vers 8 beta worked fine but upon installing the release of v8 last night a time zone incompatibility is reported. How are the time zones now recognised? By name or GMT offset?

In my old Windows 2003 PPC the region is set to "English (New Zealand)" (that's as close to a time zone I can find), on my Windows XP laptop "(GMT +12:00) Auckland, Wellington", and within Sunbird also on my laptop "Pacific/Auckland" .

Both PPC and laptop are showing the correct time/date.

PETER

edited: PS Birdie - I have read your fixed Time Zone note. Also thanks for the update.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

@cjl: Did you install the Microsoft patch on the mobile device ? You may find some help on this Microsoft web page.

@PSHRutPark: In ThunderbirdService.log, you should find an error like "Time zone are different on device..." with an offset for the mobile device and the desktop. Could you give me these two offsets ? That could help see which time zone definition is incorrect.
Thanks.

Note: ThunderbirdService.log is located in:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<users name>\Application Data\BirdieSync\Log\
Vista: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync\Log
(Application Data is a hidden folder: in explorer window, you must check the option "Show hidden files and folders")

You can also access to this log directly in BirdieSync log archive (built with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs...")
Birdy

PSHRutPark

Post by PSHRutPark »

Birdy wrote: @PSHRutPark: In ThunderbirdService.log, you should find an error like "Time zone are different on device..." with an offset for the mobile device and the desktop. Could you give me these two offsets ? That could help see which time zone definition is incorrect.
Thanks.
Hello Birdy,

It is now the day after my message and when I went to synch the PPC to re-generate the error (for sending to you), everything worked! This is after a multitude of checks and re-boots yesterday with the consistent time zone error.

There was a daylight saving change the night before and maybe it needed 24 hours to work through. Could this be so?

PETER

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@Peter: that's weird... Maybe the definitions of the time zone were not exactly the same on the mobile device and in Lightning regarding the date for the daylight saving time.
Birdy

PSHRutPark

Re: Timezones don't match error - plus another question

Post by PSHRutPark »

Birdy wrote:@Peter: that's weird... Maybe the definitions of the time zone were not exactly the same on the mobile device and in Lightning regarding the date for the daylight saving time.
Birdy, thanks for your patience and comment on this one.

On another matter I have been thinking of synchronizing my PPC with my Sunbird "remote" events and tasks rather than the "local" copy on my laptop. When I start this, BirdieSync reports that it needs to sync all the items (both remote and local are currently identical). If I proceed, will I have a duplicated set on my PPC (and the "remote" set) or will the process automatically not create duplicates?

PETER

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

synchronizing my PPC with my Sunbird "remote" events and tasks rather than the "local" copy on my laptop
Could you tell me what you mean exactly ? Do you mean synchronizing a remote calendar (iCal, Google, etc.) ? What do you mean by "local" copy ?
Thanks.
Birdy

PSHRutPark

Post by PSHRutPark »

Birdy wrote:Could you tell me what you mean exactly ? Do you mean synchronizing a remote calendar (iCal, Google, etc.) ? What do you mean by "local" copy ?
Thanks.
Hello Birdy,

Sorry my meaning wasn't clear.

On my laptop I have a Sunbird ICS file containing the events and tasks. This I have considered my master "home" file and I published a copy of it on the web so that other PCs on my network can access it and automatically update their local copies of the ICS file and hence events and tasks. This is what I call my "remote" file and automatically updated copies reside on all my PCs including the laptop which I sync to my PPC.

Now I want to switch the syncing of my PPC from the Sunbird "home.ics" file (which is redundant) to the locally stored copy of "remote.ics". In starting the sync process it seems that I may end up with hundreds of duplicate entries on at least my PPC. Is this likely to be the case?

PETER

PSHRutPark

Re: Timezones don't match error - plus another question

Post by PSHRutPark »

Birdy and others,

I bit the bullet and proceeded with the switch of the sync PPC to laptop Sunbird source for events and tasks and no duplicates were created.

Your programming skills reign supreme!

Thanks

PETER

Soupy59

Post by Soupy59 »

I have the same problem, I have a Motorola Q- GSM and I am working In RIYADH Saudi Arabia +3 no DST,

I am a registered user, I have played with the time and get some working. the calender is way way off. HELP!!!

V/R

Bill

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Bill,

Could you give me the exact name of:
- The mobile device time zone
- The Lightning/BirdieSync time zone
- The Windows time zone

Then after the synchronization error regarding the time zone, could you give me the content of ThunderbirdService.log (you can get it in the log archive with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." in Desktop sub-directory).
Thanks.
Birdy

Soupy59

Post by Soupy59 »

Nairobi is what i used to just to get it to work.
I set windows and my Lightning the same.

I knew they would work.

Tks
Bill

Soupy59

Post by Soupy59 »

Will Birdie you make a Riyadh Time zone?

I plan on working here for a while

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Sorry but the time zones are provided by Windows Mobile and Lightning. If there are problems of definition for some time zones and they don't match, it may be necessary to use other ones.
Birdy