Does not sync contacts with category

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Gudul

Does not sync contacts with category

Post by Gudul »

After installing BirdieSync 1.6.9.0 I configured it to sync contacts in Thunderbird address books corresponding to category of each contact (and not to sync contacts for which category does not have a corresponding address book).
At the first sync, one single contact came in my default address book in Thunderbird, which was normal because it was the only contact without category and I hadn't had created the other address book yet.
Now, I created the address books for which I want my contacts on the PDA to be synchronized with Thunderbird, but none of my PDA contacts are transferred to Thunderbird. Sync seems to be processed normally like if not new item had to be synchronized.

Is there a way to force transfers from PDA to Thunderbird or solve that issue differently ?

Thanks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Does not sync contacts with category

Post by Birdy »

Hello Gudul,

Do you mean that you have a contact on your mobile device with a single category which exactly matches the name of your address book (with lower and upper cases) and which is not synchronized in this address book ? Even if you reconnect your mobile device ?
Birdy

Gudul

Post by Gudul »

Yes - that's exactly the case.
I must say I created a few address books in Thunderbird after the first synchronization.
Now everything looks like the Sync does not see any new contacts to transfer from the PDA to the PC.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I made some tests but I could not reproduce your problem.
Here is what I did:
- 2 address books: "Personal address book", "Dummy"
- Checked options "Link address book to contact category" and "Don't synchronize contacts on the mobile with categories matching no address book"
- "Personal address book", "Dummy" are both selected to be synchronized in BirdieSync options
- Card synchronization is selected in ActiveSync/WMDC options
After having reconnected the mobile device, and while it is connected:
Create a contact with the category "Personal address book"
Create a contact with the category "Dummy"
Both contacts are immediately synchronized in the matching address books.

What happens if you reproduce these steps ?
After you create the contacts, do you see an alert mentioning the beginning of the synchronization ?
Could you confirm that all your address books were selected for synchronization in BirdieSync options ?
If it still doesn't work, right after the creation of your contacts (and possible synchronization) could you send the logs to support(at)birdiesync.com with "Tool/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Gudul

Post by Gudul »

Thanks for your follow-up.
I feel like an idiot, but where can I find the "Card synchronization is selected in ActiveSync/WMDC" is it on the PC on the Device and where. I could not find anything like that !

Other info : I did not have any contact with Category "Personal Address Book". Does it matter ? I created one on the device and one on the PC and it did not sync.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

After your mobile is connected and synchronized:
- If you use ActiveSync (XP): right click on the ActiveSync icon in the taskbar and select "Open Microsoft ActiveSync". Then select the menu "Tools/Options" and check "Cards" (contacts), "Events" (appointments), "Tasks" or "Mails" in the list. After selection, click on OK.
- If you use the WMDC (Vista): right click on the Sync Center icon in the taskbar and select "Open Sync Center". Then right click on your mobile and select "Open Windows Mobile Device Center". Finally select the menu "Mobile Device Settings/Change content sync settings" and check "Cards" (contacts), "Events" (appointments), "Tasks" or "Mails" in the list. After selection, click on Save.

Don't select "contact, calendar, tasks (Outlook) or E-mails which are Outlook categories.

It doesn't matter if you don't have a "Personal address book" (note that it is the default address book but it may have a different name if you use another language than English).
Birdy

holgomator

Post by holgomator »

Hello,

same problem:

Birdy is right. Contacts newly created on the device are going to be syncronized to the corresponding adressbook in thunderbird. But the contacts already been on my device are not gonna be synchronized. I think that is the problem.

BS seems not to be looking at the device what is already there but is starting the device-partnership with the idea the device is empty.

Hope that helps finding a solution,

Holger.

Gudul

Post by Gudul »

Solved ! Thanks Birdy.
The problem was coming from me selecting "contacts" instead of "Cards" ("Fiches" en français).
As soon as I unchecked "Contact" and checked "Fiches" everything was OK.
People : be careful when you uncheck "Contact" ActiveSync will delete ALL your contacts (silly thing). So backup your PIM databases using "PIM Backup" freeware, uncheck "Contacts", let ActiveSync delete your contacts, restore the contacts after disconnecting your device, reconnect and Sync your "Cards" et voilà !
Homologator, I hope you have the same problem as me. If not, I am sure Birdy will help.
Birdy, you'll get an order soon.

Thanks again.

holgomator

Post by holgomator »

I solved it too, but by reassigning a category to all the contacts in my device. Then syncing worked.