Birdiesync won't start on mobile device

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
arbo

Birdiesync won't start on mobile device

Post by arbo »

Hi there,

we're currently using the birdiesync trial to synchronize a dozen google calendars via lightning to our two mobile devices. (HTC smartphone 4350 and an HP Ipaq 114). As soon as the trial ends we're planning on buying a license cause this is the only program that does two-way syncing with Google Calendar.

This works fine on the HTC but on the Ipaq we are experiencing some trouble. We've installed it earlier this week and did the exact same setup as the HTC. This has worked until now... Whenever the device boots (after soft reset) or is connected to a pc and active sync starts up, we get this message on the Ipaq mobile device:

BirdieSync Error
An error occurred while starting BirdieSync. To avoid later synchronization errors, please restart your mobile.

So we did that (restart it) a couple of times, and every time again we get the same message. I tried manually booting the program by clicking the exe file but that gives the same result.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the application, but that didn't work either. We are at the end of our solution scheme, so I thought I'd just ask the professionals. Does anyone here know how to fix this?

Both devices are running Windows Mobile 6
The professional version on the HTC and the Classic version on the Ipaq.
CE OS:
HTC: 5.2.1238
Ipaq: 5.2.1616

Any help greatly apreciated, as it would be stupid for us to buy a piece of software that won't run on our device.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Birdiesync won't start on mobile device

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

Before any operation, please do a backup as described in this thread:
http://www.birdiesync.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=723

After having closed Thunderbird/Sunbird, disconnected, reconnected your mobile device and waited for the end of the synchronization, could you send me your logs with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." ?
Thanks.
Birdy

arbo

Post by arbo »

will do, but I think I'm not getting to the end of synchronazition. Will send the log files to you later today.

arbo

Post by arbo »

Log files sent!

Eventually it did sync everything, but now all of our events are duplicated on the device. This probably due to non booting of birdiesync on the device.

arbo

Post by arbo »

So eventually I did a hard-reset and installed the latest ROM from the HP site and now everything seems to work.
Well, it "seems" to anyways.

I'm now having a different problem on both our devices. I have about 12 google calendars that I'm syncing using thunderbird and birdiesync. The strange thing is that a few of the agenda's are not showing up on the device. Although there are many events in them, they won't appear. Is there a limit to how many calendars you can sync?

*UPDATE*
Apparently the calendars synced on the iPaq are not the same as the HTC. By which I mean that some calendars that don't sync on the HTC do appear on the iPaq. Some calendars won't appear on both the devices. Weird stuff. Do you need the logfiles again?

cyron

Post by cyron »

I have the same problem with my HX4700. Last week, birdiesync worked without problems. After I installed a backup from the week before (before the backup was made, birdiesync worked fine, too) the programm won't start anymore. I even installed the BETA (1.7.0), but that didn't solve the problem.

The log contains the following error message (the last four lines are the same I got with the previous version):

Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 BirdieSync: version 1.7.0.0beta
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 Operating system: PocketPC, version 5.2
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 ERROR: Error in locating beginning while extracting value: buffer = ??4?????????=?????????????????•?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????4????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????•??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????•??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????, beginning = addressBookList class = "list" numberOfItems = " (GetLastError = 25)
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 ERROR: Impossible to unserialize archive (GetLastError = 25)
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 ERROR: Could not load preference file. Was BirdieSync updated ? (GetLastError = 25)
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 ERROR: Impossible to simply open watcher database (GetLastError = 87)
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 ERROR: Impossible to open watcher database (GetLastError = 87)
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 ERROR: Could not not subscribe to object notifications (result = 0x0) (GetLastError = 0)
Local 10/09/2008 09:09:24::0000 BirdieWatcher exited