Sync on 2 PCs

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
AndyMM

Sync on 2 PCs

Post by AndyMM »

Please help. I have an HTC Touch HD on WM6.1 and I use this with Thunderbird and Lightning running off a portable hard disc. This goes back and forth between Home and Work both running XP with all the SPs and the portable HD as the D drive on both.
Using Birdie Sync and Active Sync I can get it to sync without problem. I then (exactly) following the procedure you detail take it to the other PC and set up a new partnership and that syncs fine. If I then take it back the the first one it recognizes the device but tells me "The following information type on your mobile device has not been synchronized with this computer before" and gives me the option to combine or replace.

I have gone through the FAQ and deleted the partnerships in Active Sync on both PCs and the mobile and deleted the Active Sync folders. I have tried this 4 times now in the last week but every time I take it back to the PC1 having set up a relationship with PC2 and synced it tells me I have never synced before with PC1.

Both the PCs use the same HD as drive D, the only real difference between them is one (work) uses Zone alarm but though this blocked the original sync when the range was allowed it has synced fine. Like I said both PCs will sync with the Mobile perfectly but not remember that they have done so if before hand they have synced with the other PC.
I know I can just sync with one pc but that to me rather defeats the object of being allowed to use 2 PC :-)
I only allow the cards, events, tasks, everything else is off.
Any help or advice much appreciated. I am a long term Palm user (who switched due to the bad hardware Palm now offer) so apologise if I am missing something simple in this windows world :shock:

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Sync on 2 PCs

Post by Birdy »

Hello AndyMM,

It might be a specific ActiveSync problem. When you get the message asking you to create the partnership again, is it possible to send to support(at)birdiesync.com the logs with "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." ?
Do you have this problem only on one PC or on both ?
Thanks.
Birdy

AndyMM

Re: Sync on 2 PCs

Post by AndyMM »

Thanks for the reply, I agree that it is most likely to be Active Sync. It happens both ways around. I have followed FAQ and thread advice from here, deleting all AS profiles on the PCs and Mobile, uninstalling/re installing AS, and the same for Birdie Sync. the right boxes are ticked in AS and once it has done the new sync it works fine for days. Then I go to my office and it gives me the overwrite/duplicate option which when done means for the rest of the day everything works fine. Back home (where it had been working fine the day before) and again "this has not been synced before" and the overwrite/duplicate option comes up.

Oh I long for the day when Palm get their act together and I can go back to them. The Centro and Treo 680 were total rubbish locking up and horrible battery life but at least the Palm Desktop could be moved around with any problems. :)

I will not be back at the office until next week so will do a log and send it to your email then.

Thanks

Andy