Thunderbird 3

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
hbruun

Thunderbird 3

Post by hbruun »

I saw someone posted a similar question (but mixed it in with a BlackBerry question). Do you have a Thunderbird 3 compatible version in the works? Anything that will be released in a beta/test mode until TB 3 comes out of beta? I would like to begin serious use of TB 3, but I've become quite dependent on BirdieSync. :)

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird 3

Post by Birdy »

Hello hbruun,

Sorry, by now a BirdieSync version compatible with Thunderbird 3 has not been released yet. Even if Thunderbird 3 has reached a beta stage, the authors mentioned that some new features should come which means that this version is still evolving. And we still don't know if Lightning will be finally integrated in Thunderbird 3. That can lead to a lot of changes in BirdieSync to be adapted to this new version. So it is too early to release a version of BirdieSync compatible with Thunderbird 3.
Birdy

stuartro

Post by stuartro »

Any chance of BirdieSync working with TB 3 now...? It's 2009 and TB 3 is in beta 2.

Or at least some indication of when BirdieSync it might work with TB3?

Thanks,
Stuart.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Stuart,

Thunderbird 3 is still evolving along the betas. And with all these changes, some features are still missing in Thunderbird 3 to allow the synchronization to work properly. So it will be at least necessary to wait for the beta 3 of Thunderbird 3. A beta version of BirdieSync will be available when Thunderbird is more stabilized.
Birdy

stuartro

Post by stuartro »

Now that Thunderbird 3 beta 3 is out (http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/t ... ird/3.0b3/) when might we see a release of BirdieSync for Thunderbird 3?

Hopefully,
Stuart.

Camel

Post by Camel »

stuartro wrote:Now that Thunderbird 3 beta 3 is out (http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/t ... ird/3.0b3/) when might we see a release of BirdieSync for Thunderbird 3?

Hopefully,
Stuart.
the ligtning will be stay an extra plugin.
well, we could try to install the old version and modifying the version number in birdiesync part ...
but it would be very interessing to see support from birdiesync to TB3 ...
some news ?

stuartro

Post by stuartro »

Please can someone from BirdieSync let us know what the plans are? Silence isn't golden...

hbruun

Post by hbruun »

Wow!! it has been about 7 months since I did the original post. Sure would be nice to sync smartphone with my Thunderbird again.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The development of the next version of BirdieSync that will support Thunderbird 3 is still progressing but hasn't been fully completed yet. When it's finalized, a beta version will be available.
Birdy

stuartro

Post by stuartro »

Thanks for the update. Any idea what the ETA might be?

billywill

Post by billywill »

Hi Birdy, there is a lot going on here - I hope you are not ignoring the trends in connectivity.

I have been toying with PostBox, is nice because it's new but after loading up TB3 with Lightning 1pre I would have to say I am impressed and keen to stay with the Real Mozilla. The TaQuilla addon promises to run rings around anything Postbox might do with message tracking.

But I would say the real one to watch is gContactSync. This seems to be a line of work which is going in a new direction and will require some core restructuring to keep up with. The improvements to GMail and neatness of TB as a client will be hard to beat, but hard connection to a mobile device seems to have become a poor cousin in favor of Blackberrys etc. But there will still be the rest of us.
Note that I will stick to USB syncing because I (feel I) need to back up each day to the external card on the Win device, I use Softtick Card Export and SyncToy onto a 16GB and can't image I'll ever beat this for reliability, security and versatility. BirdieSync is friends with all the above but it's feathers are looking particularly grey against TB3.

The higher level issues are best explored in "information fragmentation its the enemy" on the mesquilla.com site.

Cheers

andi.k

Post by andi.k »

I'd love to move from Outlook to BirdieSync/TB/Lightning but what concerns me is the availability of free upgrades.

If I buy BirdieSync now, will I get a free upgrade to the upcoming version supporting TB3?
Cheers, Andi

billywill

Post by billywill »

Hi Birdy

I note the Thunderbird 3.0 Release Candidate is out now,
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... andidates/

I have been using 3.0 Beta 4 and am impressed.

The inevitable is coming with TB3.0. But what is Birdy doing about it?

For myself, I am at a crossroads with a new phone, pocket PC etc, and have been trying to delay that decision in anticipation of sticking with the good old USB and BirdieSync
However I might have to face the Google future, and just plunge in.

Should I?

How soon?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The next version of BirdieSync compatible with Thunderbird 3 is almost ready. A beta version will be available soon after Thunderbird 3 RC1 is released. Note that even if a first Thunderbird RC build is ready, it is not the official RC yet.
Birdy

billywill

Post by billywill »

Many thanks Birdy

I think one of the neat features of TB3 is the Gloda search. We are still learning how to be friends, but I have given up on tagging and folders and other ways of arranging mail, and am using Gloda and Google Desktop to do all my retrieval.
I have also managed to move away from using my Inbox as a tasklist, and use Tasks in TB and on the Mobile device. Using Tasks in this way requires fairly simple lists, which is good.

At work I am still on TB2 and BirdieSync.

So perhaps that is some indication for effort/features (or not) for BirdieSync for the future.

ciao

Bill Willy