Assistance with BirdieSync Configuration Wizard

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
misterspiffy

Assistance with BirdieSync Configuration Wizard

Post by misterspiffy »

I just got a Verizon HTC Touch Pro and I'm trying to configure Birdie Sync to use with it. In the Birdie Synce Configuration Wizard it is asking for user profile to synchronized under "Thunderbird". I can only select default. I am hoping that is the correct value. Under "Portable Thunderbird" it is asking me for the "Storage device". It lists as three options: "Fujitsu MHX2300BT ATA Device (C:)", "Fujitsu MHX2300BT ATA Device (:)", and "Drive defined in path". I am not sure which one to select. Under "Portable Thunderbird" it is also asking me for the "Profile Path on Device". I have no clue as to what to set for a value for this. :?:

I checked the FAQ and searched the forum but couldn't find any information on this.

Thanks in advance.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Assistance with BirdieSync Configuration Wizard

Post by Birdy »

Hello misterspiffy,

Are you using the classical version of Thunderbird or a portable version ?
Note that if you want to synchronize with the Thunderbird profile that you are currently using (most of users only have one which is called "default"), you simply have to press the "Use current Thunderbird" button which should automatically choose the correct options.
Birdy

misterspiffy

Post by misterspiffy »

Hmm I'm not sure if I set it up right. I can't find the app in the program files on the phone and I can't find where to sync in thunderbird. Maybe I am missing something very obvious (I hope not :shock: ). I really want this to work. I'd much rather pay for this app then put money in the pockets of MIcrosoft. Vista really sucks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

There is no visible application on the mobile device.

The configuration of BirdieSync is split in 2: the main configuration is in Thunderbird/Sunbird with the menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Options..." where you select which Thunderbird profile you want to synchronize, which address book, calendar, etc.

Then to activate the synchronization of cards, events, tasks or mail (NOT contacts, calendars, tasks or e-mails which are Oulook categories) you must open ActiveSync or the Windows Mobile Device Center to select the categories you wish to synchronize. If you haven't done it already, I suggest you to have a look at BirdieSync help file to get more detailed information (Installation topic).

By the way, before synchronization, please ensure to have a BACKUP of all your PIM data as mentioned in this FAQ topic.
Birdy

misterspiffy

Post by misterspiffy »

Ok I checked all the appropriate boxes on Windows Mobile Device Center and synced. I am not exactly sure where the information is going because I can't find any of it. It doesn't seem to add email accounts or contacts. I guess I am lost. This is the first smartphone I've owned so I'm new to this. Thank you for any assistance you can offer. If there is an FAQ that answers this I apologize. Edit: I set my phone to sync with the disc drive instead of active sync when prompted by the phone. Now auto comes on and WMDC won't connect. Sync Center is indicating I need to install Microsoft SQL server?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I set my phone to sync with the disc drive instead of active sync when prompted by the phone
Could you tell me where you selected this setting ?
You should't have anything to configure on the mobile device.

In ActiveSync/WMDC options did you select "cards, events, tasks or mails" ? (BirdieSync categories) Note that you shouldn't select "contacts, calendar, tasks or e-mails" which are Outlook categories.

By now the creation of the mail accounts on the mobile device are not performed automatically. You must created them manually if needed (if you synchronize mails accounts in Thunderbird which are not located under "Local Folders"). You should find more information in the help file on how to create these mails accounts.
Birdy