Sync with Exchange and Thunderbird

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
rowi

Sync with Exchange and Thunderbird

Post by rowi »

Hi there,

I successfully sync via Birdiesync (registered) with my computer at work (ActiveSync to Exchange) and with my home computer (Thunderbird 2). It really works well.
Unfortunately I share the cards, tasks and events via my mobile device to my home computer and vice versa. So my private cards, events and tasks are now synchronised to my computer at work. Umpf.

Is there a way to deny synchronising across ActiveSync and Birdiesync? Or is there a way to tag my private tasks and events in a bulk instead to tag them one by one?

best regards
Rolf

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Sync with Exchange and Thunderbird

Post by Birdy »

Hello Rolf,

If I understand you well, you would like to prevent ActiveSync at work from synchronizing your private items with the Exchange server. The problem is that BirdieSync has no control over the synchronization with your work computer. With BirdieSync it's possible to prevent from synchronizing some categories of contacts, appointments, etc. in Thunderbird/Sunbird (to avoid having your professional items on your home computer for instance). But I don't think that ActiveSync allows this kind of filtering with the exchange server (but I never experimented it).
Birdy

rowi

Post by rowi »

Hi Birdy,

I was on vacation, so excuse my late reply. As I now understand, Birdiesync doesn't care of Active sync with the Exchange server at work. So I have to check if the Active sync can put a stamp "work" on the synced items. Birdiesync then allows not to sync the "work" items to be synced with my home PC. I think, this is the way.
And the next question is, if Active sync can put this stamp onto the items. Well, I should be able to figure this out.
If I'm wrong, please correct me.

best regards
Rolf

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I thought you didn't want to synchronize your private items on your work computer (you mentioned: "So my private cards, events and tasks are now synchronised to my computer at work. Umpf"). But the solution you proposed in your last mail allows to not synchronize your work items on your private computer. Regarding the latter solution, it would be necessary to put your work items in a "work" category for instance that you exclude from synchronization.
Birdy

rowi

Post by rowi »

Hi Birdy,

it looks like this:

Work Computer -- HTC touch HD Smartphone -- Private Computer

I want to sync from Work (red) and Private (green) to my Smartphone (yellow). But I don't want any sync between private and work.
My Smartphone obviously is the gateway between work and home and I would like to divide the messages into the groups work and private.

best regards
Rolf

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

So if you want to prevent from synchronizing your work items on your home desktop, you must put your work items in a "Work" category and then select "Don't synchronize appointments on the mobile with categories matching no calendar" for instance in BirdieSync options (knowing that there is no "Work" calendar selected for synchronization in Lightning/Sunbird). You may do the same for your contacts and tasks.

But I don't know a solution to prevent from synchronizing your private items on your work computer since BirdieSync doesn't manage this part of the synchronization.
Birdy