"Attention required" after reinstallation

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
jazzcica

"Attention required" after reinstallation

Post by jazzcica »

Hello
I am trying to set up synchronisation between my Palm Treo 750 (WM6) and Asus EeePC 1005HA (WinXP SP3) with ActiveSync 4.5 and BirdieSynch. I set it up successfully when I first got the Netbook but then the Netbook broke and had to have everything reinstalled. I have tried to repeat the process but I get the message "Attention required" for Cards, Events, Mails and Tasks. If I click on View status I get a pop-up with the following: ActiveSync encountered a problem on the desktop. Support Code:85010014.

I also have a connection set up on my main computer, (also WinXP SP3), and this still synchronises correctly. I use Outlook on the main computer, so have not installed BirdieSync on that.

I've tried various combinations of uninstalling and reinstalling both BirdieSync and ActiveSync but cannot get it go work. Please help!
Cheers

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: "Attention required" after reinstallation

Post by Birdy »

Hello jazzcica,

After having closed Thunderbird/Sunbird, disconnected, reconnected your mobile device and waited for the end of the synchronization, could you send your logs with the Thunderbird/Sunbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.
Birdy

jazzcica

Post by jazzcica »

Dear Birdy
Thanks for your reply. I finally more or less tracked the problem down. First of all I did (probably unnecessarily, it now turns out!) a hard reset of my Palm in case there was some hangover there and reloaded the data from the desktop Outlook. Then I reinstalled BirdieSync and re-established the partnership (all in the right order, according to the BirdieSync instructions). I got the same problem. Now, don't ask me why (and don't ask me why I didn't try it before!), but I decided to try just synchronising Cards and Events, and not Tasks. This worked!!!! So then I added the Tasks, and got the Duplicates message, claiming that I had both Outlook and Lightning Tasks selected (this had been the case at the very start, though I didn't select them both). I checked, and only the Lightning Tasks were selected. So I made the bold move of switching off that option checking. And the Tasks synchronised successfully. Then I switched the check back on, and it all still synchronised successfully.

Now, being a suspicious (IT) person, I connected it to my desktop again. It synced successfully. Back to the Netbook - ActiveSync mysteriously thought that I want to synchronise Outlook Tasks as well as Lightning Tasks. I switched off the Outlook Tasks option for the Netbook partnership but the problem still occurred (for Events and Cards too). I had to remove the Lightning Tasks and sync again, then add the Tasks. And it all works again, but I'll probably have to go round this loop next time I sync on the desktop. Sigh.

It's not ideal - I still don't know why syncing on the desktop messes it up, but it looks as though I can sync on both more or less. If you think it would be helpful, I can provoke the error and produce the logs and send them to you.

Cheers
jazzcica

jazzcica

Post by jazzcica »

Dear Birdy
Further information on this issue: today I plugged my Palm into my Netbook and it thought I had selected Outlook tasks again. I deselected the option and the sync went ahead successfully. I had a look at the options on the Palm and found that there is only one "Tasks" option for the Netbook and it is among the Outlook options with the Outlook "Tasks" icon, though it is not greyed out. Is there some conflict going on here because the names are the same?

One other question: why is there a Sunbird tab in the BirdieSync options in Thunderbird? I am not using Sunbird and on the Sunbird tab, BirdieSync quite correctly says that Lightning is presently selected (Synchronization/Application). I looked at the log LogArchiver and it says:

Local 2009-10-13 20:37:20::0937 WARNING: File 'C:\Documents and Settings\Patricia Hughes\Application Data\BirdieSync\\\Log\SunbirdService.log' could not be found (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-10-13 20:37:20::0953 WARNING: File 'C:\Documents and Settings\Patricia Hughes\Application Data\BirdieSync\\\Log\SunbirdConsole.log' could not be found (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-10-13 20:37:21::0968 OS AKU = .0.2.4

Is any of this important?
Cheers
jazzcica

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

This problem of Outlook Tasks selection is weird. BirdieSync makes the clear distinction between Outlook and Lightning/Sunbird tasks but maybe Outlook/ActiveSync doesn't (but it would be really strange that it uses the name to identify a particular category and not its id). I tried to reproduce the problem but didn't succeed. I wonder if this problem is not related to the double synchronization (netbook and desktop). You mentioned " there is only one "Tasks" option for the Netbook and it is among the Outlook options with the Outlook "Tasks" icon". Could you confirm that you synchronize with Thunderbird on your Netbook ? And that you didn't have a "Tasks" option for Thunderbird and only one for Outlook ? Could you see the other categories ? (Cards, events, mails)

Regarding Sunbird what you describe is a "normal" behavior. The Sunbird configuration tab is present although Thunderbird is running. And the traces in the logs only indicate that Sunbird is not present (or was not launched with BirdieSync on your machine).
Birdy