BirdieSync 2.0.0.0 beta - bug reports

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Taraman

Re: BirdieSync 2.0.0.0 beta - bug reports

Post by Taraman »

Hi Birdy,

I have installed Beta K on my Laptop and up to now it works pretty stable. Only some minor things that I noticed:

First of all my Environment:
Windows XP SP3,
ActiveSync 4.5.0 (Build 5096)
TB 3.0 Portable (Portablized by Liberkey.com)
Lightning 1.0B2Pre
Mobile Device: Eten X800 Windows Mobile 6.1

During installation the Install on the Mobile the Laptop gave an error. Log states:

Code: Select all

Local 2009-12-11 12:34:36::859 ERROR: Error while waiting for process to finish '"C:\Programme\Microsoft ActiveSync\CEAPPMGR.EXE" "C:\Programme\BirdieSync\Installation\Setup.PocketPC5.0.ini"', exit code = 0 (GetLastError = 0)
But the Installation on the mobile completed ok.

I had the impression, that my mobile was a little unstable after the installation, it hanged 2 or 3 times. But I can't say for sure that this is due to BirdieSync, since the device does this every once in a while and now it is stable again for 3 Days.

I snyc Calendars, Adressbooks and Tasks and have no problems up to now.
Birthdays from Thunderbird, that have no Year set are not Synced.
Can't find anything in the logs about this. No error messages at all.

I run BirdieSync as unprivileged user and have no problem so far. Only if I try to log in two users at the same time I get a file access error.

The last thing is that I cannot safely disconnect the USB-Stick with TB Portable. Windows always states "Device is busy" until I completely close BS.

Very Good Work to this point!

Taraman

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Taraman,

First of all, thanks a lot for this report as well as the detailed description.
During installation the Install on the Mobile the Laptop gave an error. Log states:

Code: Select all
Local 2009-12-11 12:34:36::859 ERROR: Error while waiting for process to finish '"C:\Programme\Microsoft ActiveSync\CEAPPMGR.EXE" "C:\Programme\BirdieSync\Installation\Setup.PocketPC5.0.ini"', exit code = 0 (GetLastError = 0)
A slight glitch was fixed (even if I cannot be sure it was related to your problem but might be)
I had the impression, that my mobile was a little unstable after the installation, it hanged 2 or 3 times. But I can't say for sure that this is due to BirdieSync, since the device does this every once in a while and now it is stable again for 3 Days.
I cannot say if it was caused by BirdieSync. Note though that when BirdieSync is launched on the mobile device, it may take some time to clean up some data and slow down the mobile device.
I snyc Calendars, Adressbooks and Tasks and have no problems up to now.
Great ! :)
Birthdays from Thunderbird, that have no Year set are not Synced. Can't find anything in the logs about this. No error messages at all.
On Pocket Outlook it's not possible to synchronize birthdays which are not real dates. I would suggest you to add the birth year.
No errors are returned because this error is quite common: a lot of people have incorrect birthday dates in their address books.
I run BirdieSync as unprivileged user and have no problem so far. Only if I try to log in two users at the same time I get a file access error.
I will look at that.
Other thing, another user told me that the only way to install BirdieSync for a restricted account was to logg-in as an administrator.
The last thing is that I cannot safely disconnect the USB-Stick with TB Portable. Windows always states "Device is busy" until I completely close BS.
I'll check that.
Very Good Work to this point!
Thanks. :wink:
Birdy

yohn

Post by yohn »

Birdy wrote:Hello yohn,

This is BirdieSyncInstall.log located in the temporary directory. Would you have an Install.log file located in:
Vista or 7: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync\Log
(Application Data is a hidden folder: in explorer window, you must check the option "Show hidden files and folders")
Thanks.
There is just empty folder created at c:\Users\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync\Log\ after the specified error, and there is no such folder C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync\Log.

It can't be access rights problem because I install BirdieSync as admin.

Also, maybe it'll help, there is some files located in the Program Files\BirdieSync after the :
1. Help\Help.qhc
2. Help\Help.qch
3. BirdieSync.Lib\assistant.exe

There is no more occurences of the "Birdie" I found using search on the whole harddrive.

Taraman

Post by Taraman »

Birdy wrote: Other thing, another user told me that the only way to install BirdieSync for a restricted account was to logg-in as an administrator.
For the Installation I believe this is perfectly normal. If you don't have Administrator privileges on this machine, you shouldn't be installing software... :D

Running it just works fine.

Taraman

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@deHoeninger:

Version l was published and may solve your problem of events not synchronizing.
Birdy

Joska59

Post by Joska59 »

I'm using version 2.0.0.0-l. Now, sync is working fine, but, I've got a lot of duplicates in my contact-list. Using the removal-tool seems not to have any effect on these cards.

Another problems has become to the contact-cards itself; a great couple of cards now have wrong e-mail-adresses, shuffled around from other cards. Mhhh, no idea, what happend.

Do you know, is ist an issue, somebody had told before?

Best Regards, Joska

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091204 Lightning/1.0b2pre Thunderbird/3.0

glz

Post by glz »

I just installed beta-l and birdiesyncs syncs once and then reports that it is disconnected subsequent cradling. The funny part is, the archive log generator screen says it is connected. The logs show it is cradled. Here is the log:

Local 2009-12-18 20:12:00::980 BirdieSync: version 2.0.0.0beta-l
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:00::980 Operating system: id 2, version 6.1, SP 0.0
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:00::980 Test version: Dec 17 2009 14:20:28
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:01::030 Accepting connection...
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:01::030 Mobile device is disconnected
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:01::040 Mobile device has been cradled
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:07::860 Mobile device is connected
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:07::860 Synchronization started
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:07::860 ERROR: Preference profile path is empty (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:07::860 ERROR: Couldn't connect to application Thunderbird (result = 0x0) (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:07::860 ERROR: Could not connect to Thunderbird (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:07::860 ERROR: Could not connect to application to prepare synchronization (result = 0x0) (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:12:07::860 Synchronization ended
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:13::268 Synchronization started
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:22::858 Contacts: [Desktop]: 0 created, 0 modified, 0 deleted, [Device]: 0 created, 1 modified, 0 deleted
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:23::168 Synchronization ended
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:29::750 ERROR: Cannot wait for read data, state = 0, error = 5 (result = 0x0) (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:29::750 Mobile device is disconnected
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:29::750 ERROR: Impossible to read connection data (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:29::750 ERROR: Cannot read connection data (result = 0x0) (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:29::750 ERROR: Cannot receive notification (GetLastError = 0)
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:30::782 Mobile device has been uncradled
Local 2009-12-18 20:13:53::601 Mobile device has been cradled

yohn

Post by yohn »

Boss, it's vital for me to have my contacts synchronized at the different places, but I can't even install BirdieSinc for now.

billywill

Post by billywill »

Have just loaded up the newest Lightning build
and BirdieSync 2.0 beta l

All going great !

I do have some duplicate birthdays
and I think Lightning is still a bit lazy on some birthday handling
(i realise now that these birthdays had been "adsorbed" from the various backups and exports I carried out to get to TB3. The new TB3 addressbook has a field for birthdays, you need to get the addon which finds these values and makes them appear as a new calender in Lightning.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=1635135
http://ingomueller.net/mozilla/thunderbirthday
You don't need MoreFunctions.... for TB3, just the Thunderbirthday addon )

But very satisfied with the new Birdie !! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Many thanks
Last edited by billywill on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

billywill

Post by billywill »

Joska59 wrote:I'm using version 2.0.0.0-l. Now, sync is working fine, but, I've got a lot of duplicates in my contact-list. Using the removal-tool seems not to have any effect on these cards.

Another problems has become to the contact-cards itself; a great couple of cards now have wrong e-mail-adresses, shuffled around from other cards. Mhhh, no idea, what happend.

Do you know, is ist an issue, somebody had told before?

Best Regards, Joska

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091204 Lightning/1.0b2pre Thunderbird/3.0

Hi Joska

I have had some serious errors with backups/exports out of Lightning to CSV files, I had to open it up in Excel and sort it all out by hand.
I doubt this is a BirdieSync error,
typically the problem for me seems to be associated with cards/contacts which have had commas anywhere in them, and any text in the notes field, and I really suspect these errors originated from exports from another Personal Information Manager (Outlook) which probably was able to handle a more diverse character set than CSV.

Suggest you get your backup and use "Replace" to get rid of dodgy characters.

Note that Lightning is still a nightly build, although their latest comment is that they believe it is finished
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/calendar/

Hope that helps

Billy Will

ppravier

Post by ppravier »

Hi,

I went to the mobile device "Settings/Connections/USB to PC/" and unckecked the "Enable Advanced network functionality" thing.
Now, only the "ActiveSync (Sync with outlook)" option is enabled.
When I did this, Windows installed a driver and it connected to the Windows Mobile Device Center. From there I can access the files of the device....
But still no success in connecting BirdieSync.

I notice that when I connect it, there is an ActiveSync dialog saying that BirdieSync is not installed, as if it was trying to use the old version 1.x.

The last times I connected to BirdieSync 2, I was just trying to replace the items, not to combine them (otherwise it would leave duplicates during the failures).

I also tried the "Disk Drive (Faster File Transfer)" type of connection, but this is even worse as Windows does not recognise the device.

After that, I went again to the mobile device "Settings/Connections/USB to PC/" and reverted to the "ActiveSync (Sync with outlook)" option enabled. The "Enable Advanced network functionality" option remains unchecked.
I had to plug the device to another USB port, otherwise Windows would not recognise it anymore.

... And this time it worked perfectly all the way !

I did two further sync to check, having changed a couple of tasks/events before, and the sync worked again perfectly.

Thanks for your help, I think the essential tip was to change the connection settings.
Birdy wrote:Hello ppravier,

First I would recommend you to install the new beta version i before proceeding. Also ensure to have a backup of all your data.

When you get the "communication failure", is the mobile device still "Connected" in the mobile device ? Can you still access to your files on the mobile device from the desktop Windows file explorer ?
When you disconnect and reconnect your mobile device, does the mobile device gets connected again in BirdieSync ?
Are you in RNDIS mode (on the mobile device "Settings/Connections/USB to PC/"Enable faster data synchronization" is checked) or in Serial mode (unchecked) ?
If you try the Serial mode (uncheked) and reconnect your mobile device do you still have the disconnection problem ?
Did you try to "Replace " or "Combine" your items when synchronizing ?
If your mobile device still appear connected in the Windows Mobile Device Center, could you launch the log archiver ("Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs...") build and send a log archive to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@yohn:

I sent you a new version for testing by email. Please answer directly to support.

@glz:

When you get the reconnection problem (BirdieSync doesn't detect the mobile device although it is displayed as "Connected" in AcitveSync/Windows Mobile Device Center), please could you send your logs with the Thunderbird/Sunbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.

@ppravier:
I notice that when I connect it, there is an ActiveSync dialog saying that BirdieSync is not installed, as if it was trying to use the old version 1.x.
If you get this error message, it could be because you didn't uninstall BirdieSync 1.x before installing the new beta. Removing BirdieTransfer.exe from the directory could solve this problem.

@Joska59:

I couldn't reproduce your problem regarding email addresses. But do you have this problem on both the mobile device and the desktop ?
Birdy

TopCop

Post by TopCop »

I have got a question:

In the BirdieSync options I unchecked the first item (launch synchronization right after connection) and set it to manually.
Nevertheless synchronization is starting right after the connection.

Well, I do not know if this could be caused by the windows mobile center? Because I have to synchronize with Outlook for several reasons. So my intention was to first do a synchronization with Outlook and after this is finished I want to manually start BirdieSync.

So I do not know if it is a bug in BirdieSync or if this is caused somehow by the Outlook Synchronization.

TopCop

Joska59

Post by Joska59 »

BillyWill said:
Suggest you get your backup and use "Replace" to get rid of dodgy characters.
Yes, I've got it :D
But I've problems to sync with my Google calendar. After a few events, syncing stops in an endlos loop, it seems. Only if I sync my local cal, the function is allright.

The problem of duplicates seems to be fixed with the last beta -m.

Best regards, Joska

Philo

Birdiesync 2 beta and Windows Mobile Device Center on Vista

Post by Philo »

Since you asked for a feedback about the beta version I hope this is the right place.

Guys, you're doing a great job trying to react quickly to that dumb TB update incompatible with everything I loved about the old TB. Here's another problem for you. :wink:

I installed Thunderbird 3, Lightning 1.0 and Birdiesync 2 the day before yesterday and am not yet satisfied. Synchronisation without Windows Mobile Device Center may be nice, but each time I connect my mobile, Birdiesync pops up a message that Birdiesync isn't installed on my mobile. I open Birdiesync and see that my mobile is not connected - which is wrong, it is, otherwise BirdieSync wouldn't have given me the false information that it isn't installed on the mobile.
Just after the Windows Mobile Device Center has connected, BirdieSync synchronises properly.

The problem seems to me that BS is faster than Windows Mobile Device Center. I always have to wait for WMDC to connect with the mobile until BS is able to recognize the mobile.
BS had better either recognize the mobile completely independent of WMDC or wait for WMDC to connect before popping up with false informations about my mobile.