BirdieSync 2.0.0.0 beta - bug reports

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Birdy
Site Admin

Re: BirdieSync 2.0.0.0 beta - bug reports

Post by Birdy »

Hello Ron,

It's a message displayed on Windows 7 by the Windows Mobile Device Center when Outlook is not installed... So I would consider it as a WMDC bug (not present in Vista). A workaround was found for BirdieSync 1.7.2.0 but it will be necessary to do some tests on Windows 7 to see it is necessary to implement it in BirdieSync 2.0.
Birdy

SvenGlueckspilz

Post by SvenGlueckspilz »

its the same here. there is this message again (after switching from 1.7 to 2.0). But now the sync is starting well. Its only the message which is a little bit annoying.

Regards,
Andre

AoS

Post by AoS »

AoS wrote:The phone wouldn't enter stand by when disconnected. Birdie sync was the only change I made recently and so I killed the background process. The behaviour changed instantly.
I just wanted to tell you that the problem vanished after installing a newer version of the beta.

cu,
Dirk

Kodachi

Post by Kodachi »

Just wanted to take a second saying "Thanks Birdie" I know how much work developing and testing is.. so... really good work... I bought my upgrade licence yesterday.. installed everything today - and everything is fine.. the only problem through the beta testing was one number my mobile thought it would be fun to delete. So.. thanks again.. keep up the good work.. I am happy now.. :mrgreen:
Just a short question - installation on my second notebook is no problem with the one licence?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@Kodachi:

Thank you for your support ! :) I'm afraid you are right: BirdieSync represents a great amount of work ! :wink:
There is no problem installing BirdieSync on your second notebook. BirdieSync has a "per user" license model.
Birdy

bluelotus

Post by bluelotus »

BirdieSync Version: 2.0.0.0 beta-s
Thunderbird: 3.0.1
Lightning Calendar: 1.0b1
Phone: HTC HD2

If I edit an existing task or appointment (change of date, time, description, etc.) on the mobile phone and sync it with Thunderbird (Lightning) afterwards, the changes do not get transferd to Lightning calendar on the desktop.
In the settings of BirdieSync I linked the calendar to the events and tasks category. However, if I try to sync changed tasks or appointments from the mobile to the desktop, they loose their category on the desktop and the described problem occurs.

Did anyone make similar experiences with the actual version? I would like to buy Birdiesync 2.0.0.1, but it is useless for me if this failure occurs on the new version as well.

Thanks for help,
bluelotus

bluelotus

Post by bluelotus »

The funny thing is that whenever I edit an existing task or appointment on the mobile and sync it IMMEDIATLEY with the desktop - it works. Anyway, it won´t solve my case..

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello bluelotus,

Could you tell me what is the difference between "immediately" and "not immediately" ?
Do you synchronize with a local or remote calendar ? (if remote which type)
Which synchronization way did you choose ?
Could you confirm that you didn't check "Don't synchronize appointments and tasks on the mobile with categories matching no calendar
" in BirdieSync options ?
Note that if you chose the option "Link calendar to appointment category", you won't be able to synchronize the category since it will be replaced with calendar name.
Birdy

bluelotus

Post by bluelotus »

Hi Birdy,

immediatley is edit an event on the mobile - 5 seconds later plug it into the USB port and sync. On the other hand I edit some events at work and sync them a few hours later back home. Maybe it relates to the fact that if I edit and sync immediatley, the calendar application is still running in the background of my HTC HD2. "CleanRam" shuts down the calendar application on the mobile a few times while I am at work.

I synchronize with a local calendar on my desktop computer.

The calendars AND tasks are synchronized "both ways".

No - I didn´t check "Don't synchronize appointments and tasks on the mobile with categories matching no calendar", although it should not matter as the synchronization works sometimes..

Regarding "Link calendar to appointment category": Ok, as it work sometimes it has to be the right setting. However, as it doesn´t sync the category from the mobile to the desktop, there is no category recorded on the desktop anymore. Now comes the point: Theoretically, if I edit an event on the desktop and sync it back to the mobile, the event on the mobile should loose its category as well, as there is no category related to the event on the desktop. I know I am wrong, I just want to understand it ;).

Nevertheless, I don´t want to sync categories, but edit and sync events and tasks both ways and relate them to their calendars.

edit: It´s a rather weird thing. Half an hour ago I edited an existing appointment in the calendar on the mobile. In the meanwhile I shut down all processes on the mobile (incl. the calendar app). Now I synchronized the mobile with the desktop and - to my surprise - every change got synchronized to the desktop.
Anyway I observed the described issue at least 15 times. I will try it again tomorrow.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I had a look at CleanRam. Since it seems to shutdown applications, please check that it never shutdowns BirdieSync.exe which runs in background. Otherwhise you will lose some modifications as you did. So maybe CleanRam is responsible of your problem.
if I edit an event on the desktop and sync it back to the mobile, the event on the mobile should loose its category as well, as there is no category related to the event on the desktop
If you synchronize an event from the desktop on the mobile device, its category should be set to the calendar name (if the option "Link calendar to appointment category" is checked). I made some tests and it works as expected.
Birdy

bluelotus

Post by bluelotus »

Ok - thank you for your fast response.

And what if I restart my mobile phone ?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

And what if I restart my mobile phone ?
If your question is, would BirdieSync still be running if if restart my mobile phone, the answer is yes.
Birdy

bluelotus

Post by bluelotus »

I observed the same problem with BirdieSync version 2.0.0.1 again. An existing event, which was edited on the mobile device did not get synchronized to the desktop.This time I excluded the application BirdieSync on the mobile in cleanRam.

However, I recognized an interesting icon related to the concerning event in windows mobile calendar: Image

I do not know where to set this setting in mobile calendar..

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

This icon indicates that it's not a recurring event. It could be for instance a modified instance of a serie.
In your Settings/System, do you have an "Error reporting" module ?
If yes, is error reporting enabled ?
If not could you please enable it ?
Could you please tell me if you sometimes see a report mentioning a crash of BirdieSync.exe ? (no need to send a report to Microsoft, they couldn't analyze it).
Could you also check with a task manager that BirdieSync.exe is still running before reconnecting the mobile device for synchronization ?

Please send a mail to support(at)birdiesync.com regarding your problem. It will be easier to follow it through the help desk.
Thanks.
Birdy

bluelotus

Post by bluelotus »

I am using Windows Mobile 6.5 and I just activated the error reporting module with the description "Send error reports to Microsoft". How can I access those error reports ?

I will check if BirdieSync.exe is still running before reconnecting the mobile device for synchronization and get in touch with you per email if not.

By the way: I am already using BirdieSync 2.0.0.1 and not the beta version anymore.