How to disable Win7 "default e-mail warning"?

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Mr.SyncHD

How to disable Win7 "default e-mail warning"?

Post by Mr.SyncHD »

Hi,

I'm using BirdieSync 1.7.2.0 with my Touch HD and TB2 on Windows 7 64Bit and want to upgrade to BirdieSync 2.0.0.0 to use TB3.

But after uninstall BS1.7.2.0 the warning message from Win7 about the missing default e-mail program is back.
On BS1.7.20 during the installation there was an option to disable the warning message, but with BS2 I can't see such a option.
When BS2 is installed the "default e-mail warning" is shown every time when I connect the mobile device.
The sync process with Birdysync and also with WMDC is fine, no other problems at all. Nice work!

I understand that BS2 doesn't need WMDC, but I need it to sync my files like bookmarks, docs and password database.

How can I disable the warning message or the Outlook support in WMDC like in the BS1.7.2.0 installer?

Best regards,

Mr.SyncHD

pjamedia

There is no e-mail program associated to perform...

Post by pjamedia »

During a sync I am getting the error:
'There is no e-mail program associated to perform the requested action, Please install an e-mail program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs Control Panel'
In control panel TB is set as the default e-mail app. Funnily enough - the sync does launch TB3 without a hitch - but then after the sync I get that message appear.
I am running Win7 x64, TB 3.0.1 and Birdiesync 2.0.0.0
I am syncing only contacts and callendar to my HTC Blackstone (Touch HD) mobile phone running a cooked Win Mobile 6.5 with Manilla 2.5

Thanks, Paul

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: How to disable Win7 "default e-mail warning"?

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

This problem occurs if Outlook is not installed on your machine. The Windows Mobile Device Center incorrectly mentions that no default email program is selected (although Thunderbird is). I guess this problem can be considered as a regression of the Windows Mobile Device Center with Windows 7. It will be necessary to do some tests again with BirdieSync 2.0 and Windows 7 regarding this problem.
Birdy

RobertRe

Post by RobertRe »

I had to do a couple of registry edits and the message seem to be gone.

1. First step
* Start regedit as an administrator by typing "regedit" into your start menu.
* Right click the regedit program, and choose Run As Administrator
* Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird*
* Double click the DLL Path value, and copy the value data to the clipboard then click cancel.
in my system, it's C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\mozMapi32_InUse.dll
* Right click a blank area below the DLLPath value, and choose New and then Expandable String Value from the menu.
* Type in DLLPathEx as the new value name.
* Double click the DllPathEx value, and paste in the value from the previous step.

2. Second Step
* Navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\MSMapiApps
* Locate the key WmdHost.exe
* Change the value from "Microsoft Outlook" to "Mozilla Thunderbird"

Disconnect your device, close thunderbird, reconnect and see if the message is gone. Mine is fixed.

Mr.SyncHD

Post by Mr.SyncHD »

Thanks! :D

Till now it works great on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit.
Only in step 2 the path were different on my system. See below.

I made a .reg file to apply the changes after a reinstall.

PATCH.REG

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Mozilla Thunderbird]
"DLLPathEx"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\mozMapi32_InUse.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\MSMapiApps]
"WmdHost.exe"="Mozilla Thunderbird"
Greetings

Mr.SyncHD

adriancollins

Post by adriancollins »

I wanted to say a big thank you to both RobertRe, and Mr.SyncHD.

I have had this annoying problem a number of times on my Windows 7 (64 bit) system. Strangely I had resolved it but upgrading to Ver2 of Birdiesync had brought the error message back.

Fortunately thanks to these two it is now working perfectly again ! Brilliant!

Cheers

Adrian

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you manually apply these settings in the registry, be aware that the synchronization of mails with Outlook will no longer work since the Windows Mobile Device Center will not be able to access to the mail settings for the synchronization. So you'll have to revert these settings if you want to synchronize mails with Outlook again.
Birdy

Mr.SyncHD

Post by Mr.SyncHD »

I think the best solution could be to implement an option to deactivate the message like in the BS1.7.2.0 installer. On my system it worked well.

Now I have upgraded my licence.
Thank you for such a nice piece of software. :D

Greetings

Mr.SyncHD

RobertRe

Post by RobertRe »

Birdy wrote:If you manually apply these settings in the registry, be aware that the synchronization of mails with Outlook will no longer work since the Windows Mobile Device Center will not be able to access to the mail settings for the synchronization. So you'll have to revert these settings if you want to synchronize mails with Outlook again.
Thanks for the info, but that is not a problem for me. I never sync emails, ever. My emails are pushed to my phone (gmail using activesync protocol, http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bi ... opic=14299).

jesusm

Post by jesusm »

Hi!

this worked fine for me with the last beta, but when I upgraded the license and installed the 2.0.0.1 I got the warnnings again.

i wanted to try the workaroud again, but then I realized two thing:

- first step was already done
- second one couldnt be done because I have not the key "WmdHost.exe"

any idea?

my OS is Win 7 Ultimate 64bits.

Thanks!!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello jesusm,

BirdieSync 2.0.1.0 has just been released: the last dependency on the Windows Mobile Device Center to install BirdieSync on the mobile device was removed. So now you can install and run BirdieSync without needing the Windows Mobile Device Center. :)

So if you don't need the synchronization features that the Windows Mobile Device Center provides, you may simply uninstall it.

You could also try to create the registry key "WmdHost.exe" yourself (ensure to be under Wow6432Node...).
Birdy

jesusm

Post by jesusm »

Great news!

So now we can uninstall wmdc? should we uninstall birdiesync 2.0.0.1 before installing 2.0.1.0?

thanks a lot!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Yes it is now possible to uninstall the WMDC. Since there are not a lot of modifications between the 2 versions, it should not be necessary to uninstall the 2.0.0.1 before installing the 2.0.1.1.
Birdy

servantoftheking

Post by servantoftheking »

Don´t create "WmdHost.exe"

If you run win7 64bit and you can´t find "WmdHost.exe" you´ve to look in the
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\MSMapiApps]

"WmdHost.exe" will not be found in
[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem\MSMapiApps] in a 64bit win7.

codiak

Post by codiak »

Birdy wrote:Hello jesusm,

BirdieSync 2.0.1.0 has just been released: the last dependency on the Windows Mobile Device Center to install BirdieSync on the mobile device was removed. So now you can install and run BirdieSync without needing the Windows Mobile Device Center. :)
If WMDC is not started, BirdieSync do not connect to the Mobile Device for me...
And WMDC does not start automaticly for me. Any suggestions?
I´m running Win7 x64