Birdiesync triggers Outlook 2007 to open

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Galen

Birdiesync triggers Outlook 2007 to open

Post by Galen »

I've been using Outlook 2007 to sync my phone for a while, but recently switched back to Thunderbird 3 and BirdieSync (registered version, of course, and running under Windows 7) to connect to my O2 XDA Orbit II Windows Mobile 6.0 phone. Everything set up correctly, and the sync works perfectly, but after the sync finishes Outlook opens on it's own - no key presses, no nothing - it just starts. No big deal, but it's a nuisance to have to shut it down again every time I sync. Obviously there's a connection with Windows Mobile Device Centre and/or an Outlook setting somewhere, but I have no idea what it is or where to start looking. Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Bob

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Birdiesync triggers Outlook 2007 to open

Post by Birdy »

Hello Bob,

Could you tell me if an Outlook category of items is still selected for synchronization in the Windows Mobile Device Center ? (contacts, calendar, tasks or e-mails). If yes, could you uncheck it ? (be careful: with Outlook it would erase all your PIM data on your mobile device if you have a Windows Mobile 6.w device, so you'll have to reset BirdieSync synchronization to avoid propagating these deletions while synchronizing). Before any operation, I strongly suggest you to BACKUP your data as mentioned in this FAQ topic).
Thanks.
Birdy

Galen

Post by Galen »

Despite the fact that I unticked the Outlook items and ticked the BirdieSync ones in the MDC when I set things up, when I went back to it today to check, the Outlook ones were ticked again and the BirdieSync ones were unticked. I followed the procedure you suggested, and unticked the Outlook items, but MDC would not let me tick the BirdieSync items. MDC duly wiped all the data on the phone. I resynchronised anyway, and everything worked and synchronised just fine, despite the fact that there is now nothing at all ticked in the MDC. However, on disconnecting the phone, the same thing happened as before, except that now, instead of launching Outlook I got a runtime error message #6030 from Microsoft Visual C++ "outlook.exe -CRT not initialised." I've just plugged the phone in and out again a couple of times, and it hasn't happened the last two times, so I hope the error message may have gone away for good. Can I carry on using BirdieSync as it is, with nothing ticked in the MDC, or is there anything else I can/should do?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

and ticked the BirdieSync ones in the MDC
If you use BirdieSync 2.0, you don't have to select any BirdieSync categories in the Windows Mobile Device Center. BirdieSync has now its own synchronization engine and no longer uses ActiveSync. So if you still have BirdieSync categories of items in the WMDC (cards, events, tasks or mails), it's because you didn't uninstall BirdieSync 1.x before installing BirdieSync 2.0 and didn't delete the WMDC partnership (you could have blank icons if you had uninstalled BirdieSync 1.x previously).
So in conclusion, it's normal not being able to tick BirdieSync categories in the WMDC with BirdieSync 2.0.

Regarding your error message with Outlook, I don't know its origin. Ensure that Outlook category is not selected in the WMDC. You could also try to delete the WMDC partnership (BirdieSync doesn't use it).
Birdy

Galen

Post by Galen »

Thanks for the gen. Can I now belatedly delete the partnership in WMDC, or should I just leave well alone? Everything is working fine now.

Regards,

Bob