I looked for a solution to sync my new Samsung Omnia II with Thunderbird (v3.0.1) / Lightning (1.0b1) and found Birdie Sync. So I downloaded WMDC and BS 22.214.171.124 and installed it on my notebook with Vista.
But until now I have nothing but trouble. For security reasons I'm working with a non-administrator user account. But this mode isn't working with BS. There are many problems when doing this:
- - During the installation no information from the mobile phone is returned. You have to enter the OS, processor information etc. manually
- - No TB profile can be selected
- - The TB executable is not found
- - Clicking on "This Thunderbird" when selecting the TB directory uses slashes ("/") instead of backslashes ("\") for the path (I'm not sure if this would have any effects?)
For test reasons I gave my user admin rights and installed the brand new BS 126.96.36.199 which I'd downloaded today. This time the installation went fine. But then other odd things happened.
- - Synced events from my mobile showed up in Lightning but after changing to the mail view or restarting TB all events were gone as if they had never been synced...
- - I synced contacts from my mobile into a newly created address book in TB. This worked and so I wanted to change some entries because I prefer the format "John Doe" instead of "Doe, John". In Samsungs "New PC Studio" I could use the field "Last Name" for this and so entered "John Doe" in it. But after syncing the entry it showed up as "John Doe," in the mobile's address book. So I had to enter "John Doe" in the field "First Name" and delete the field "Last Name". This worked.