syncing with more than 1 device / (re)install of updated ver

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
andi.k

syncing with more than 1 device / (re)install of updated ver

Post by andi.k »

I am syncing with 2 devices - pda and smartphone - and after I upgraded from 2.0.0.1 to 2.0.0.1, the device client was only installed on my smartphone (which was connected during that time). Now, when I tried to sync my pda, it complains about different versions on desktop and device.

IMO, it should give an option to install the updated version on the device now, but it simply suggests to do a full reinstall on the desktop - waste of time.

I just manually copied Setup.PocketPC2003.cab to the device and installed it.
Cheers, Andi

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: syncing with more than 1 device / (re)install of updated ver

Post by Birdy »

Hello Andi,

As you mentioned, it is not necessary to fully reinstall BirdieSync to just update the second mobile device. But the full install is not that long if you reinstall over the previous release. :wink: I do it all the time during testing...
I'll see if it would be possible to select a full installation or only a partial installation (on the desktop or the mobile device). But the problem I see is that it may confuse some users.
Birdy

andi.k

Post by andi.k »

No, what I meant is - the birdiesync desktop client should simply trigger an active-sync-installation of the cab-file allready located on the desktop pc.

This would save the user from manually locating and installing the cab-file / birdiesync-installer.
Cheers, Andi

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Do you mean that you would like BirdieSync to detect that the mobile part is not installed and then automatically install it ?
Birdy

andi.k

Post by andi.k »

Exactly. This is what I'd expect.

Also, I'd like BS to automatically offer to upgrade the mobile part if it is outdated.
Cheers, Andi