Possibility to sync only contacts with a phone number?

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
CrazyFin

Possibility to sync only contacts with a phone number?

Post by CrazyFin »

I really like BirdieSync that gives me the possibility to sync my Sony Ericsson Xperia X2 with my computer! :D

I read in the thread HERE that it is not possible to chose to sync only contacts with a phone number (any phone number field).

The problem is that when using Thunderbird and telling Thunderbird that it is ok to download pictures and similar content for emails, Thunderbird puts the sender's email into the personal address book. This means that every time you sync the address book from Thunderbird into your phone, your contacts in the phone will be added with worthless contacts with no phone numbers... :(

I am not sure if Thunderbid tags those email addresses in some special way so that Birdiesync can see that they are "internal" addresses for Thunderbird to see that it is ok to download contents (pictures etc) in emails from a specific sender?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Possibility to sync only contacts with a phone number?

Post by Birdy »

Hello CrazyFin,

I don't think it's possible to identify contacts created internally. I'll see if it is possible to add an option to only synchronize contacts with phone numbers.
Birdy

kira13

Re: Possibility to sync only contacts with a phone number?

Post by kira13 »

CrazyFin wrote:I really like BirdieSync that gives me the possibility to sync my Sony Ericsson Xperia X2 with my computer! :D

I read in the thread HERE that it is not possible to chose to sync only contacts with a phone number (any phone number field).

The problem is that when using Thunderbird and telling Thunderbird that it is ok to download pictures and similar content for emails, Thunderbird puts the sender's email into the personal address book. This means that every time you sync the address book from Thunderbird into your phone, your contacts in the phone will be added with worthless contacts with no phone numbers... :(

I am not sure if Thunderbid tags those email addresses in some special way so that Birdiesync can see that they are "internal" addresses for Thunderbird to see that it is ok to download contents (pictures etc) in emails from a specific sender?
One way around that is to use a different address book. When I click on the link to always load stuff from a sender, I get a drop-down box of possible address books. Personal Address Book is the default, but there is also (at least in my T-bird) a built-in Collected Addresses book. That's what I save those in, and then I don't sync that one. If your T-bird doesn't already have more than one address book, you can make a new one and use it the same way.

Having BirdieSync be able to ignore addresses with no phone numbers would be good, though, since there might be reasons to have email-only addresses in your Personal Address Book that you wouldn't need in your phone, or perhaps you have all your relatives for Christmas cards but you have only postal addresses and no phone numbers. (I have these types, but I have a lot of room on my phone, so I don't mind that they're there. It's a problem for phones with low memory.)