Multiple categories in appointments

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
kjetilmh

Multiple categories in appointments

Post by kjetilmh »

Does birdiesync support synchronizing muliple categories in appintments?

I've used the trial version of 2.0.0.1, and I am not able to do this.

It seems like Lightning only supports one category, so I've tried to get around this by synchronizing to mulitiple calendars. But it seems like only the first category listed for the appointment is synchronized. Is there any way around this?

billywill

Re: Multiple categories in appointments

Post by billywill »

Lightning only supports one Category for appointments, so that will be the ultimate limitation

For Contacts, you can use More Functions for Address Books, a ThunderBird Add In
https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/morecols-en.html

kjetilmh

Post by kjetilmh »

Thats what I suspected.

But as I said, I've tried to get around this by synchronizing to multiple calenders. That ought to be possible even if Lightning only supports one. I would expect (hope) that an appointment with several categories would be syncronized with a calender with the same name as the category (ie an appointment with the categories A, B, C should be synchronized in three different calenders in lightning, named A, B and C). If this isn't possible I would expect it to be a limitation in the synchronizing software, not in lightning?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello kjetilmh,

The problem is that if you synchronize the same appointment with 3 categories in 3 different calendars (one for each category), you no longer respect the one to one correspondence of the synchronization (one mobile device item matched on desktop item). And if you modify the event in one desktop calendar, the modification would be transfered to the mobile device. So either it would be necessary to then update the 2 other events in the 2 other desktop calendars, or you would have differences between the mobile device event and the 2 other events in the desktop calendars. That would complicate things a bit...
So I think that it's difficult to manage multiple categories in events if Lightning/Sunbird don't support them as billywill mentioned it.
Note that with contacts, you may be able to separate categories with commas.
Birdy