Thunderbird Profile Error on Windows 7

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
masc

Thunderbird Profile Error on Windows 7

Post by masc »

Hi,

I recently downloaded the trial version of BirdieSync 2.0 but had a problem getting it to run smoothly on my machine (Windows 7 64 bit EN, Thunderbird 3.1 + Lightning 1.0b2). I always got a error message claiming that the Thunderbird profile could not be found. No matter what settings I changed in Birdiesync or Thunderbird, it didn't worked until I had a look at the file Preferences.xml in the folder "C:\Users\<Your Win Profile Name>\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync" and found the source of the error.

The following entry was wrong:

Code: Select all

<thunderbirdProfilePath><![CDATA[C:/Program Files (x86)/Mozilla Thunderbird/Users/mac/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/123456xy.default]]></thunderbirdProfilePath>
After I changed that to the correct path the profile error message was gone but ..:

Code: Select all

<thunderbirdProfilePath><![CDATA[C:/Users/mac/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/123456xy.default]]></thunderbirdProfilePath>
... unfortunately this wasn't all. Starting Birdisync now revealed that it will only run smooth if Thunderbird was not already running. After fiddling around a little more I found out that this whole scenario only occurs if the Thunderbird application is physically not located in the folder configured in the Win registry. This can be the case if the application sits on a application server and is via NTFS hardlink linked to a local drive on a client machine like it was in my case. The only fully working solution seems to be to install the Thunderbird application to a local drive on the client machine. I however hope that the information I provided in this post might help the developers to fix that issue in a future version.

Regards
Marc

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird Profile Error on Windows 7

Post by Birdy »

Hello masc,

I think this problem is caused by a bug in a third party library when some paths are built with a NTFS junction or maybe with a hard link. It should be possible to fix this problem as soon as the new version of this third party library is available.
Birdy