Host process for windows services has stopped working.

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
pjdevries

Host process for windows services has stopped working.

Post by pjdevries »

Ever since I upgraded from Birdiesync 1.x to 2.x (currently running 2.0.1.6 with Thunderbird 3.0.6 and Lightning 1.0b1) I frequently get a "Host process for windows services has stopped working" message along with errors in my event log referring to a faulting svchost.exe, after which Active Sync doesn't seem to be working anymore. Can this somehow be caused by the upgrade?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Host process for windows services has stopped working.

Post by Birdy »

Hello pjdevries,

I'm not sure there is a link with BirdieSync. svchost.exe refers to a Windows service. BirdieSync doesn't install any service. Regarding ActiveSync, BirdieSync 2.0 only uses ActiveSync for connection and no longer for synchronization. And I'm not sure that ActiveSync has its own service. So by now I don't why it would make crash svchost.exe. Since the name of this process is generic, it could be interesting to try to identify which service is behind.
Birdy

pjdevries

Post by pjdevries »

Thanks for the reply. I guess I have to keep searching what causes this problem. I'll let you know if I find out.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you know which svchost.exe process crashes (if for instance it is restarted), you may have a look at the DLLs loaded by this process with a tool like "Sysinternals Process Explorer". Maybe it would give you a hint regarding the purpose of the service.
Birdy

pjdevries

Post by pjdevries »

That's a good tip. Thank you.