Linux support

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
lfarkas

Linux support

Post by lfarkas »

hi,
is there any chance to be a linux version of birdiesync in the near future?
thnaks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

The problem is that BirdieSync relies on ActiveSync, a technology which is only present on Windows. So adapting BirdieSync to Linux would lead to important development...
Birdy

lfarkas

Post by lfarkas »

although i'm not an expert in this area, but imho activesync can be replaced with synce and the real important think here is the sunbird intergration which you already done.
but anyway is it planed or not even planed?
thanks.

Varghjärta

Post by Varghjärta »

This is an interesting issue to me. I dual boot xp and linux (for development, and school projects) and I would love to be able to sync my phone from either windows or linux (i use the same profile-folder anyway).

But I suppose I could get around it by storing all data on a server, installing birdiesync on that one (and make sure it it runs windows, which it does).. Buy a bluetooth dongle, and then not have to care about OS on my desktop comp.

fredoo75

Re: Linux support

Post by fredoo75 »

For sync a mobile under win5-6:
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/tutoriel/sync_wm5-6
It's written in French.
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease make a version for Ubuntu :wink:

kse

Re:

Post by kse »

Birdy wrote:Hello,

The problem is that BirdieSync relies on ActiveSync, a technology which is only present on Windows. So adapting BirdieSync to Linux would lead to important development...

but you can replace active sync through an tcp/ip connection. On the mobile phone you enter the ip of the syncserver. if the server is available: start sync. maybe its complicated to build a push and pull system based on server and client, but it could solve the boundarie to windows.

hebus

Post by hebus »

Heureux utilisateur de BirdieSync depuis de nombreux mois, je souscris à une portabilité sous Ubuntu (je ne garde win que pour la synchro avec mon HTC), et ce, même si je dois racheter une licence de BirdieSync version Tux ...
Merci d'y réfléchir

jazzcica

Post by jazzcica »

Great news that version 2 no longer relies on ActiveSync. Does this by any chance mean that there could be a Linux version? I have a Netbook running Ubuntu and WinXP, but the only reason I use WinXP is to synchronise my Palm Treo. Please please give us a Linux version!
Cheers!

Incom

Post by Incom »

jazzcica wrote:Great news that version 2 no longer relies on ActiveSync. Does this by any chance mean that there could be a Linux version? I have a Netbook running Ubuntu and WinXP, but the only reason I use WinXP is to synchronise my Palm Treo. Please please give us a Linux version!
Signed!

zabo

Post by zabo »

I sign this too, since unix support is the starting point of the NAS server version I'm dreaming... :D

Arnaldo

jga

Post by jga »

+1! plus one!

ericch

Post by ericch »

As I see that an Android version of BirdieSync is in development, it would be nice too to have a version for Linux (Ubuntu, Debian, etc.) or to make it usable with Wine. Netbooks are so much faster with Linux.
I dream of a multiplatform BirdieSync (Windows, Linux, MacOs X) and (WM, Android, iPhone).