Install not possible (because of profiles?) [SOLVED]

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Castou

Install not possible (because of profiles?) [SOLVED]

Post by Castou »

Hi,

I tried BirdieSync before it was possible to sync mails, worked fine.

Now on a new computer, I reinstalled Thunderbird and modified the profiles and paths because 1) I use TPM and wanted my mails on a secure and backed up drive and 2) My wife now wants to use her mails on my PC.

The new BirdieSync with mail sync is not installing. It told me during the process that Thunderbird must be closed in order to install a new extension. (I translated the french message, so this is probably not the exact words of the english install procedure).

Of course, TBird is not running, I verified in Task Manager. But I have the same kind of problem when trying to lauch TBird when my TPM is not initialised and that it don't find profiles. So I guess it is due to the profiles path not well used by BirdieSync.

Two profiles in TBird : Gerard & Aurore.
Content of profiles.ini :

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=Gerard
IsRelative=0
Path=T:\Documents\Gerard\ThunderBird
Default=1

[Profile1]
Name=Aurore
IsRelative=0
Path=T:\Documents\Aurore\ThunderBird

I hope you will find what is wrong and that I will be able to use your wonderful app'!

If you need anything else, just ask.

Regards,
Gérard.
Last edited by Castou on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

I don't think it is related to profile. BirdieSync installer checks that there is no process whose name contains "thunderbird" or "sunbird".
Did you check with a tool like "Process Explorer" ?
Birdy

Castou

Post by Castou »

Hi Birdy,

I have verified that right now with Process Explorer just for your pleasure, and as predicted neither Thunderbird nor Sunbird is running.

Before that I already tried to reboot my computer and directly start installing BSync but I always have the same message.

I thought it's profile-path related because when I try to launch either Thunderbird or Sunbird or even Firefox and my profiles files are not there, instead of telling me that they are not found it tell me that "another instance of ... is running but not responding, please close and try again".
Of course nothing is running, I put my password in the TPM in order to show files and then it works...

I might be mistaking, anyway.

Castou

It's me again :-)

Post by Castou »

Hi Birdie,

Everything is fine with the new setup you sent. Thank you for the fast fix!

(The only thing I'm wishing now is to be able to sync multiple calendars and having them related to a Category in the PocketPC. But this is an out-topic wish!)

Great job out there, I'm a happy near-future customer of BirdieSync!

Gérard.