Email field only synchronizes in one direction

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
rhh.privat

Email field only synchronizes in one direction

Post by rhh.privat »

Hi everybody!

I just installed BirdieSync on my Android2.2-phone and on my Win7(64) PC.

Synchronisation between Android contacts and Thunderbird addressbook worked easy and fast; but then I realized all my email-addresses were missing!

A short test showed, that the email-field was synchronized from Thunderbird -> Android but NOT the other way round! I.e. if I added an email-entry in my Thunderbird addressbook it showed up in my Android contacts. But when I modified this email-entry on the Android phone, this change was not propagated back to the Thunderbird addressbook.

Any ideas?

Robert

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Email field only synchronizes in one direction

Post by Birdy »

Hello Robert,

I made some tests regarding the synchronization of the home email address on Android devices. Actually this field seems properly synchronized by BirdieSync but there is a problem of refreshing in Thunderbird GUI. If you look at the list of contacts or display this contact in a new window, the email field appears unchanged although it is. But if you select another address book and then goes back to the address book where the contact was modified, then the new mail address appears. So it's as if Thunderbird didn't immediately display the modifications performed on the contact. Note that this problem doesn't exit if you modify the name of the contact: the modification is immediately taken into account.
Can you reproduce this behavior ? Is your mail address displayed if you select another address book and then goes back to the previous one ?

I'll see if it's possible to force Thunderbird to refresh the displaying of address books.
Birdy

rhh.privat

Post by rhh.privat »

[...]
Can you reproduce this behavior ? Is your mail address displayed if you select another address book and then goes back to the previous one ?
Actually I can reproduce this behaviour if I change a mail address which is already existant!
But that doesn't seem to be the whole story: if I try to populate an empty Thunderbird address book by a sync with my Android, the mail addresses really do NOT come over (no GUI update problem).

- Robert

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Finally I could reproduce the problem on a HTC device (this problem doesn't come up with the original Android contact application). The email address is recorded by HTC contact application without any type (home, work, etc.) and so that is why it is ignored by BirdieSync...
Do you have an HTC device ?
Birdy

rhh.privat

Post by rhh.privat »

Do you have an HTC device ?
Yes, shure. A HTC Desire! And the reason I'm looking for alternatives to the HTC sync software is, that it looses contacts and appointments every once and a while...

- robert