Feature request: background sync

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Yan

Feature request: background sync

Post by Yan »

I evaluate BirdieSync 2.0 with Dell Streak/Android 2.2 and Thunderbird+Lightning.
All works fine, but synchronization process requires my actions.

It would be VERY useful feature - continual background synchronization via wi-fi. Using this feature, you could setup devices relationship and forget.
BirdieSync on device should periodically try to connect desktop. If mobile is out of home wi-fi zone - connection will not be established. If it is on the guest network and a desktop with the same IP address is present there - we could rely on password protection ...

I think, background activity would be a great advantage of your nice software.

Thank you.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: background sync

Post by Birdy »

Hello Yan,

Android synchronization was provided without background synchronization at first. But it may be provided in the future.
This post will be moved to the "Wishes" section.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: background sync

Post by Birdy »

Background synchronization is now provided in version 2.3.2.0 which has just been released. It is no longer needed to manually launch BirdieSync (only after a reinstallation). But note that if you use a wireless connection, you have to ask for the connection before the synchronization is launched (I'll see if it will be possible to automatically connect). If you use USB, connection is established automatically and the synchronization is launched. If the connection is established and a contact or an event is modified on the mobile device, the synchronization is launched.
Birdy