Calendar sync with Android 2.1, Lightning 1.0b2, BS 2.3.1.3

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
vpnuke

Calendar sync with Android 2.1, Lightning 1.0b2, BS 2.3.1.3

Post by vpnuke »

Hi, I've just bought a samsung i5500 "Corby" with Android 2.1, this is the first time with Android.

I'm tryng to sync Contacts and Calendar with my Android; contact syncing is fast without errors, but i can't sync Calendar due to error:

"The calendar "Home" selected for syncronization was not found on the mobile device.

On Android 2.1 mobile devices which don't support HTC Sense, this calendar cannot be automatically created [...]. Please ensure that this calendar exists and is a LOCAL calendar (not Google, Facebook, etc.)."

On my Corby, "add calendar" is disbled, i created it in Google Calendar, i synced it on my Corby and, then, i disable the automatic syncing with Google account, but nothing changed with BS error.

What i'm lacking?

tks, Simon

Samsung i5500 Galaxy 5 "Corby"
Android 2.1
Thunderbird 3.1.9
Lightning 1.0b2
birdieSync 2.3.1.3
Win 7

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Calendar sync with Android 2.1, Lightning 1.0b2, BS 2.3.

Post by Birdy »

Hello Simon,

I may send you a new test version with specific modifications for Samsung devices with Android 2.1.
Birdy

vpnuke

Post by vpnuke »

That would be great, i'll send you my email via private message.
tks,
Simon

typoworx-de

Post by typoworx-de »

Hello,

I have the same problem! I am also using Thunderbird + Lightning 1.0b2, latest BirdieSync. Android Version "2.1-update1".
Well the only difference is I have xAndroid (Android port for XDA Diamond 2 / originall Windows Mobile based device).

I am new to Android, I didn't find any way to create a local calendar as mentioned in the error message. Is this an issue of the android version? How can I fix it?!

I tried creating the calendars using the online Google-Calendar where you can create/edit cal's on their webpage. But this didn't work even after disabling "Google Sync" as these calendars created by Google are still not local :-(

Best regards
Gabriel

musician40

Post by musician40 »

i´ve the same problem with t-mobile motorola defy. german.

how can i create a local calendar on the android so i can sync with pc?

thanks for your help

regards

musician40

Post by musician40 »

has no one an idea?

i want to use birdiesync for events. but right now it is impossible.

regards

typoworx-de

Post by typoworx-de »

Hello,

I didn't find any solution yet! The only thing that could cause the problem may be that the "local calendar" feature is only available in newer release of Android. I have a XDA with haret/X-Android that could be upgraded by using newer Images for that device. I will look for a newer version and give it a try maybe.

The only thing I might help with is, you could try "myPhoneExplorer". It's also a Sync solution for Android/Windows (I'm not shure if Mac is also supported).
I don't want to blame BirdieSync with this link - I'm a great fan of this! Especially that BirdieSync is capable of targeting multiple Smartphone-Types ;-)

I still hope for a hint for the "local calendar" problem.

Best regards
Gabriel

musician40

Post by musician40 »

Hello,

Im a a little bit dissapointed that there isnüt any kind of reaction by admin. I like the software very much as lon as i had an windows mobile phone. now with android i had thsi problem and there isn´t even a reaction by admin.

if there isn´t a solution for that problem please let me know, so i can search for an other solution.
At least just let us know what you think about that problem.
Or do you know a calendar app for android with which i could sync the events?

best regards

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Sorry for the late answer, but the last version of BirdieSync took a lot of time and the current problem is rather tricky to solve.
Now here is the situation. Based on numerous tests done on Android 2.1 and after analysis of Android sources, it doesn't seem possible for an external application to create calendars on Android 2.1 (if you want to be able to add events in these calendars and if you don't want to have your calendars removed after a reboot...). If it's possible on some devices, it's very likely because some manufacturers implemented their own modifications in Android 2.1. So apart from HTC and Samsung devices (a new test version should be available shortly to see if it works), the only workaround that seems possible is to use Google calendars.

It would be only possible to synchronize in a Google calendar already created on the mobile device (it is not possible with the current version of BirdieSync). After some tests, it would mean the following constraints regarding the synchronization with Google Agenda on the web:
- New calendars should be created with Google Agenda on the web. That would mean that if you need to create a new Google calendar and have events in the other Google calendars, Google will synchronize them on the web.
- Because of Android limitations, recurring events will not be synchronized in Google Agenda on the web and will be ignored by Google synchronization
- If you delete an important number of events in the calendar, it will stop Google synchronization. It seems to be a security implemented by Google and the only way to start again Google synchronizations may be to clear the calendar storage on the mobile device.
As you may see, this workaround has serious drawbacks...
Thanks for sharing your thoughts...
Birdy

musician40

Post by musician40 »

hi,
thanks for the answer.

i have tested my phonebook explorer. and this software works with the googlecalender. i jsut did some basic tests

I don´t care if my android syncs correct with google calendar on the web. i just need the synchronistion between laptop and and android. if this would be posible please implement ths feature.

best regards

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

BirdieSync 2.3.2.2 has just been released and allows Android 2.1 devices (not HTC) to synchronize with Google calendars already created on the mobile device.
Birdy

r0b0

Post by r0b0 »

I am sorry I don't quite understand this sentence in the release notes of the latest version:
On Android 2.1 mobile device, not supporting HTC Sense, as a workaround, it is now possible to synchronize with Google calendars.
I have a HTC Hero with android 2.1 incl. HTC Sense and using BirdieSync 2.3.1.3 with Thunderbird 3.1.10 with no problems at all. Will upgrading to 2.3.2.2 break BirdieSync for me?

Thank you for clarification.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

With the official version of Android 2.1, it is not possible for an external application like BirdieSync to create calendars. And it's not possible for the user to manually create calendars in the Agenda application. So the only way seems to use Google calendars created by Google synchronization from the Web.
But the situation is slightly different for HTC devices running on Android 2.1 because this version of the operating system was customized. It's possible for BirdieSync to create calendars. The changes introduced in version 2.3.2.2 don't impact HTC devices (Android 2.1). So installing version 2.3.2.2 should not modify the way HTC devices are synchronized.
In any case, always ensure to have a recent backup of your data. :wink:
Birdy

typoworx-de

Post by typoworx-de »

Hmm... that's all very disappointing...

May be you could have a look at the software "myPhoneExplorer" and try figure out how these guys have done the Sync to Android? There must be any solution (in worst case using a "rooted" Android environment). I can't imagine there isn't any solution. Well Google also has it - they can remote control every google-account on Android to switch the cal-options. So there must be anything that they use within android for their Google-Account connector.

Best regards
Gabriel

typoworx-de

Post by typoworx-de »

Well I'm sorry to post this here... but I tested myPhoneExplorer today and it seems to be a real alternative to Android Users (for Windows).
I was able to successful sync contacts, calendar and so on.

Best regards