Add New Contact from SMS

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
surftier

Add New Contact from SMS

Post by surftier »

Hello,
how can I create a new Birdie Contact from a SMS? I want to use a Number from the SMS to Create a New Contact bat it doesn´t work....
The number doesn´t appear in the Contact.

How can I solve the problem...

The birdie version is 2.3.3 beta c und android Froyo on lg p970

Andre

knomic

Re: Add New Contact from SMS

Post by knomic »

Same probleme occur, when you try to add a number from your calling list to a new or existing birdiesync contact.

Very strange behaviour:
I cannot edit contact, when they are linked with a facebook profil. But when I take the way over adding a "fake"-number from the calling list to the same contact, i can edit everything in this linked contact.

robb

Post by robb »

Same here (with the release version).

I can understand why the new BirdieSync Contact is required. (Although I really wish that it wasn't, as I much prefer the user interface for adding contacts to People.) However, being unable to create a new contact with the number displayed seems to be a major omission.
Handset: HTC Sensation, Android 2.3
Desktop: Windows XP SP3

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

This problem should be fixed in Android application 2.3.3.2 which hast just been released. Now name, mail and phone number should be automatically filled when the contact is created from a log call, a SMS or a mail for instance.

@knomic:
I cannot edit contact, when they are linked with a facebook profil. But when I take the way over adding a "fake"-number from the calling list to the same contact, i can edit everything in this linked contact.
When you say you cannot edit contact, what do you mean exactly ? Would you have a small scenario that I could reproduce ?
Thanks.

@robb:
Could you give me more details regarding what you prefer in the former interface ?
Birdy

surftier

Post by surftier »

Hello Birdy,
where can I download it? In the Market is only the 2.3.3.1 aviable. Or must I use the 2.3.4.0 beta c

Andre

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Version 2.3.3.2 has been published on the market. Maybe there is a small delay before it is available to everyone.
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Juts got 2.3.3.2 and it seems to be working fine. Thanks for the quick fix. :D

With regards to the interface...
  1. Because the BirdieSync Contact field names disappear when you enter data into the fields, in can be a bit confusing knowing which field is which when editing a contact.
  2. I like the concept of only showing the fields that contain data - and thus minimising scrolling. However, I find that it can add to this confusion. Especially as this doesn't work consistently (with "blank" phone, email and web fields being displayed - whether or not you've entered a phone number, email address or web address).
  3. Suppose the Home and Work numbers are saved the wrong way round. If you temporarily change Home to Mobile, you still can't change Work to Home. You need to save and re-edit. (Similarly, if an email address is saved as Home instead of Work, you need to copy and paste; you can't just change Home to Work.) And if there are several numbers in the wrong fields, the combination of disappearing fields (see point 1) and needing to save and re-edit can make this quite tricky.
  4. You can't reorder numbers. Well, you can, but this will apparently be ignored...
  5. Menu icons make the People menu quicker to use.
  6. Generally, I find the People app easier on the eyes (the soft colours, rounded corners, the field alignment, the subtle picture icon...) and therefore more pleasant to use.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thanks robb for the detailed explanation.
1. Generally you know which field it is just looking at what you entered. It was a good way to minimize scrolling. But I understand that it would be more confusing
2. A blank field is always displayed to allow you to enter a new phone, mail, etc. with a different type (work for instance). Is there a problem sometimes with this ?
3. Yes, I agree that there is a problem presently if you want to convert a number from Home to Work for instance. It would be good to improve this.
4. Note sure what you mean by reordering numbers.
5. I agree.
6. I suppose it depends on the device you have. :-)

Based on your feedbacks, investigation is done to see if it would be possible to offer the choice of account to be synchronized and provide more flexibility...
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Birdy wrote:Thanks robb for the detailed explanation.
1. Generally you know which field it is just looking at what you entered. It was a good way to minimize scrolling. But I understand that it would be more confusing
If that was the case, then it wouldn't be an issue. But sometimes, with an old contact, it's not obvious. And if a contact's data has somehow ended up in the wrong fields, it's trickier to sort it out (or even see that this has happened).

It also slows you down. You can't simply glance at the Company field to find out their company name. Instead, you have to read various fields and think "is that the company?" until you find the one that is. Sure, that only takes seconds. But it detracts from the overall user-friendliness.
Birdy wrote:2. A blank field is always displayed to allow you to enter a new phone, mail, etc. with a different type (work for instance). Is there a problem sometimes with this ?
You've made other fields disappear to minimise space. Yet the space you gain there is then wasted with empty phone, email and web fields. So it ends up being neither one thing nor the other...
Birdy wrote:4. Note sure what you mean by reordering numbers.
To give you an example, I wanted to see a client's work number first, then their mobile number, then their pager number. If I set the first phone number field to Work, the second to Mobile, and the third to Pager, this was ignored when I saved the contact details. Both the contact overview (in People) and the BirdieSync editor seemed to revert to their (different) default orders.
Birdy wrote:6. I suppose it depends on the device you have. :-)
It's undoubtedly subjective, but I'm not sure it's that device specific. When I say easier on the eyes, I don't mean that BirdieSync literally tires the eyes, more that People is more aesthetically pleasing and (in my opinion) better designed (with "design" encompassing both aesthetics and functionality).

surftier

Post by surftier »

good thing it works fine...

Thanks to Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

A new beta version of BirdieSync has been released which no longer uses BirdieSync account to synchronize your contacts. So you should now be able to use the stock contact application again to manage your contacts.
For more flexibility and to still address some problems with some specific Android devices, you can now choose the accounts you wish to synchronize (Phone, Google, BirdieSync, etc.).

The beta version is available for Thunderbird 5.0:
http://www.birdiesync.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=1514

And for Thunderbird 3.1:
http://www.birdiesync.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=1534

Please quickly report any problem you have with this new version or comment you have. Don't wait for the official release to do it !
The release cycle is intended to be short.
Post the version of Android you use and the model of your Android device.

Thanks.
Birdy

Rimsha42

Post by Rimsha42 »

Good work you did great job