BirdieSync 2.3.3.2 beta (Thunderbird 3.1)

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
robb

BirdieSync 2.3.3.2 beta (Thunderbird 3.1)

Post by robb »

Wasn't sure where the best place to post feedback on this version was (as I can't reply to the release thread). So hopefully this is it! I'm really hopeful about this version, as I much preferred BirdieSync before the BirdieSync account was required, so I'm happy to do any beta testing I can. I'm still testing, but here are a few initial anomalies...
  1. After a full resync of events, another sync immediately afterwards claims that 21 events have been deleted on the device.
  2. BirdieSync on the desktop sometime says that the connection has been lost, even though BirdieSync on the handset still says it's connected.
  3. BirdieSync on the handset sometimes says it has no network (but browsing the web demonstrates that it has).
The last two issues can be easily resolved by disconnecting and reconnecting. But the first one currently means a full resync of events every time...
Handset: HTC Sensation, Android 2.3
Desktop: Windows XP SP3

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: BirdieSync 2.3.3.2 beta (Thunderbird 3.1)

Post by Birdy »

Hello robb,

This the right place ! :-) Thanks a lot for giving feedback !
Could you tell me if you synchronize one or several accounts for events ?
Would you see a reason for these 21 events ? (for instance the number of events in an account or in a specific calendar ?)
When you got the warning regarding deletions, could you send your logs to support(at)birdiesync.com with the Thunderbird/Sunbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." ?

Regarding point 2, do you connect over USB or with Wi-Fi ?
Regarding point 3, which exact error message did you get ?
Did you have the 2 previous problems with the previous versions of BirdieSync ?

Thanks.
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Birdy wrote:Could you tell me if you synchronize one or several accounts for events ?
Just the one. (I have two calendars in Thunderbird - Home and EnglishHolidays. But it's only configured to synchronise the former).
Birdy wrote:Would you see a reason for these 21 events ? (for instance the number of events in an account or in a specific calendar ?)
No, I only synchronise one calendar. But I got the message wrong: it says they've been deleted on the desktop (not the handset). The log said they were duplicates. But I checked the handset, and discovered that there were no events there at all!

I tried to do another full resync. But every time I clicked connect, it immediately disconnected again. (It said "Connecting to host over the air..." for a split second before saying "Not connected to hosts" again). Restarting my handset didn't help, but restarting the desktop application did.

Finally managed another full resync. It took ages (over an hour?) And the next sync didn't try to delete anything. But even though the desktop says they're synchorinsed, I still can't see any events on the handset!
Birdy wrote:When you got the warning regarding deletions, could you send your logs to support(at)birdiesync.com with the Thunderbird/Sunbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." ?
Done. But there seems to be another issue here: if you try to create a new archive (rather than overwriting an old one) it says that it doesn't exists and won't proceed.
Birdy wrote:Regarding point 2, do you connect over USB or with Wi-Fi ?
Always Wi-Fi.
Birdy wrote:Regarding point 3, which exact error message did you get ?
Sorry, I don't remember. But it wasn't the one I occasionally get, that says impossible to connect to 168.xxx.xxx.xxx. Instead, it seemed to be saying that there was no network at all...
Birdy wrote:Did you have the 2 previous problems with the previous versions of BirdieSync ?
No, they're new to me.

robb

Post by robb »

OK, found my missing events. :)

For some reason, the calendar was only showing the PC Sync calendar, while all my events were in the Home calendar.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

OK, found my missing events.
Good news. :) Sometimes other users had similar problems. It may be possible to make synchronization force synchronized calendars to become visible but maybe sometimes users wouldn't want that ? Or could we consider that if a user wants to synchronize its calendar, he wants it to become visible...
if you try to create a new archive (rather than overwriting an old one) it says that it doesn't exists and won't proceed.
I didn't succeed in reproducing the problem. I could create a new archive.
every time I clicked connect, it immediately disconnected again. (It said "Connecting to host over the air..." for a split second before saying "Not connected to hosts" again). Restarting my handset didn't help, but restarting the desktop application did.
This can happen if BirdieSync on the desktop is connected to another handset (or improperly thinks it is). In which case the connection is immediately rejected. If you don't have another handset, maybe BirdieSync didn't detect the disconnection. Do you remember if the device was mentioned as Connected in BirdieSync desktop window ?
Birdy

robb

Post by robb »

Birdy wrote:Do you remember if the device was mentioned as Connected in BirdieSync desktop window ?
I don't, I'm afraid.

But thanks for you help - and for this version. I'll let you know if I find any other anomalies. But overall it's looking good.