Sync problem with V2.3.4.0

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Stef

Sync problem with V2.3.4.0

Post by Stef »

After updating to V2.3.4.0 on my PC and Android syncing was first fine (I replaced every contacts on my Smartphone by Thunderbird contacts).
But then I noticed that all my assignmets to contact groups on my Smartphone were lost (the contact groups themselves still existed). Perhaps they were not correctly synced to Thunderbird before.
So I assigned some of my Android contacts to different groups again. But afterwards syncing with Thunderbird was no more possible. A message "cannot enumerate contacts on the mobile. Please remove item xy and sync again" or something like that appeared. So I deleted this contact on my smartphone. But then BirdySync showed the same message with another contact after starting to sync. So I tried to solve the problem be re-installing the BirdieSync app on my smartphone. But afterwards all my calendar data on my smartphone were lost and the BirdieSync account for my calendars was no more shown in settings of BirdieSync. Unfortunately I didn't find a possibility to create a BirdieSync account for calendar data.
How can I solve this problem?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Sync problem with V2.3.4.0

Post by Birdy »

Hello Stef,

I'll make some tests regarding the synchronization of Android groups with Thunderbird categories.

Regarding your enumeration error, could you send your logs to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
First, transfer the mobile device log to the desktop with "Help/Transfer mobile device log" while your mobile is connected.
Then build the log archive BirdieSyncLog.zip with BirdieSync menu "Help/Archive logs..." and send it by email.

If you uninstall BirdieSync on the mobile device, Android deletes all the associated data, and so delete BirdieSync account. It's not possible to control this behavior. So I would say that is usually not recommended to uninstall BirdieSync on the Android device (unless you want the uninstallation to be definitive).

I tried to uninstall BirdieSync and installed it again but BirdieSync account was created again and available in settings (note that you may have to scroll down to find BirdieSync account).
You told me that you had Android 2.2. Which model of Android device do you have ?

Thanks.
Birdy

Stef

Post by Stef »

Hi Birdy,
I've just sent you the log file. I hope it contains helpful information though I generated the logfile not directly after the error occured.
Unfortunately there is no warning message when uninstalling BirdieSync that all (calendar) data will be lost.
I use a Dell Streak with Android V2.2.2.
I checked again for a BirdieSync account but there was definitely none. After generating the log file and installing other app updates from the Android Market the BirdieSync account for events appeared!
I'll try to sync my contact and calendar data again.

Stef

Post by Stef »

PS: The enumeration error with my contact data on my smatphone occured again. I've just sent you another log file generated just after the error occured.

MorganHill

Post by MorganHill »

I have similar problems except that I can't get past activating the latest release. Same message as described above. No firewall restrictions. Rebooted several times... Any clues as to what might be going on?

Stef

Post by Stef »

Some additional informations how the error occured:
Before updating BirdieSync I had a BirdieSync account one for calendar and one for contact data.
After updating BirdieSync to V2.3.4.0 I chosed the phone account for my contact data because the BirdieSync account was no more supported. But the BirdieSync account was still there but the contacts in it were no more editable. After syncing everything with the phone account I deleted the BirdieSync account (data) in order to have no redundant data (the contact data from the phone and the BirdieSync were combined).
The I noticed that the group data were missing and I assigned some contacts to Android contact groups. After syncing I encountered the problem with the enumeration error.
By the way: Are the contact group data stored in the Thundrebird category shown with the addon "MoreFunctionsForAddressbook"?
Then syncing of the contact groups never worked with me because I didn't see any Android contact groups in the Thunderbikrd address book categories.

Stef

Post by Stef »

For your information: Syncing of my calendar data with the newly appeared BirdieSync account was successful. But I have still the enumeration error when trying to sync my contact data. I resetted the sync data but it didn't work either. So I will wait until the bug is analyzed.

Stef

Post by Stef »

I've now deleted manually the contact memory onmy smartphone and synced again. Now everything is fine. Even the syncing of contact groups/categories works without error!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Based on your additional comments, BirdieSync account was no longer listed in event account settings because you had deleted it to remove your BirdieSync contacts. But this account is used for both the contacts and events. And it is only created again if you restart BirdieSync application. Note that to remove contacts in BirdieSync account you may have used the menu "Remove contacts" and choose the BirdieSync account.
I'll see if it's possible to detect the deletion of BirdieSync account when you open BirdieSync settings and create it again if necessary.

Regarding the enumeration error, it's related to the group associated to the contact. For some reason, BirdieSync could not find this group. By now I don't know the reason. I tried to make some tests with Android 2.2 and had no problem synchronizing with groups (as yourself after you reset contact storage).

> I noticed that the group data were missing
Did you check with the add-on "MoreFunctionsForAddressbook" that the category field was filled with the group name ? If not, your contacts were associated to groups when synchronized the first time.

> and I assigned some contacts to Android contact groups.
What were these groups ? Default Android contact group ?
You said "some contacts". Were these the same contacts mentioned in the enumeration error on the desktop ?

> Are the contact group data stored in the Thundrebird category shown with the addon "MoreFunctionsForAddressbook"?
Yes. For instance if I create another group in the Phone account and assign a synchronized contact to it, then a new category will be added in the matching Thunderbird contact which can been seen thanks to the add-on "MoreFunctionsForAddressbook".
But I noticed in your logs that you chose the synchronization way "From PC to mobile device" for your address books and calendars. It means that all your modifications on the device are never synchronized in Thunderbird and can be reverted to their initial state at next synchronization. So if you add a contact to a group, its category will never be updated in Thunderbird. And at next synchronization, your contact may be removed from the group.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello MorganHill,

> Same message as described above
Which one exactly ?
Could you give more details about what you did ? Did you remove BirdieSync account as Stef did ? (don't do it if you haven't done it)
Thanks.
Birdy

Stef

Post by Stef »

Hi Birdy,
Some comments:
I didn't explicitly deleted the BirdieSync account but chose "remove contacts" from BirdieSync account.
I didn't set sync direction "both" permanently but changed it only temporarily to "from PC to mobile" to make sure that nothing get wrong with syncing the first time (my Thunderbird contacts were more upd-to-date). By the way, an option for the sync direction "from mobile to PC" would be very useful as well if the data on the mobile device are more up-to-date and if one would like to make sure that no sync error occurs (or if someone would like to copy the contact/calendar data to another PC by syncing with the mobile device).
Regarding the enumeration problem: I used the groups already existing in my google account. So some of the contacts were assigned to standard google groups, some to additional created groups. Obviously for some reasons BirdieSync never synced them to Thunderbird (because they didn't appeared in the category fields). Therefore they were lost after I synced from Thunderbird to my mobile device wit sync option "from PC to mobile".
One of the contacts with the enumeration problem was definitely one to whom I assigned the group "Freunde". Perhaps something got wrong with that. But as I told the problem was solved by deleting the contact storage and re-syncing. So for me it's ok now.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Thank you for the additional comments.
I still don't know what could have happened with the groups. I created a contact in the Phone account (not Google) and then assigned it to a Google group. The contact application duplicated the Google group to the phone account and then assigned the contact to it. That seems correct since I think a contact should not be assigned to a group which doesn't belong to the same account. But I made the tests on a HTC device. It may behave differently on your Dell device. The problem is that each manufacturer can customize the contact application so I don't know if the behavior is different on your Dell device. By the way is contact group management included in your contact application ? (I don't think it is present in the Android original contact application) Or do you use another software to manage your contact groups ?
If you have time, you may try to create a new phone contact (not Google), then assign it to a Google group and see if you then get an enumeration error when synchronizing.
Birdy

Stef

Post by Stef »

My line of action was:
1. Creating and editing contacts with assignment to groups either directly in Google contacts (Web account) or by Thunderbird and syncing with Google contacts by Thunderbird Add-on. The contact groups were created by the Android app Go Kontakte ( I use this app instead of the standard contact app).
2. I quit syncing with the Thunderbird Addon because of imcompatibilities (e.g. Google groups are not synced correctly)
3. Syncing with BirdieSync -> Google contact groups are not synced to Thunderbird categories
4. Updating to Birdiesync V2.3.4.0 (see my previous posts)
5. Assigning some of my contacts on my Dell Streak to the still existing contact groups
6. Syncing with BirdieSync again -> enumeration error

Stef

Post by Stef »

PS: Since I deleted the contact storage I can add new contact groups on my Dell Streak or new contact categories on Thunderbird and assign them to my contacts.
Syncing works in both direction.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

OK. I could finally reproduce the "enumeration error" with the "Go Contacts" application. The problem is that this application allows you to assign a contact to a group belonging to another account. For instance you can assign a contact present in the local phone account to a group belonging to the Google account. In my opinion, this should not be allowed since the data of one account should not be mixed with the one of another account. The Google group should be duplicated to the local phone account before the contact is assigned to it.
Now the question will be how to handle this situation...
Birdy