Contacts Sync only in one direction

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
motouser

Contacts Sync only in one direction

Post by motouser »

Hi,

I am trying to Sync the contacts between a Motorola Defy + and TB 7.0, running Windows 7, 64bit.

- The sync works fine from TB to the Defy.
- New contacts added to the Defy are not synced towards TB although the setting in BirdieSync Options is "Both Ways".

No error messages are showing up.

Any idea what might be wrong ?

Dirk

ericch

Re: Contacts Sync only in one direction

Post by ericch »

Hi,
I have also the same problem with Birdiesync 2.3.6.0, Thunderbird 7.0, WinXP SP3 Pro and my mobile phone LG Optimus P500 Android 2.2.
A new contact created on my mobile phone is not synchronised in TB7 address book.

Eric

motouser

Post by motouser »

Just to add the information to my previous post: the Android version on my mobile is 2.3.4 and I am using BirdieSync 2.3.6.0 .

Dirk

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Dirk & Eric,

When you open BirdieSync settings on the Android device (BirdieSync application, click on "Settings" button, select "Contact" tab), which contact accounts did you select to be synchronized ? Do you have other accounts that you haven't selected ?
Thanks.
Birdy

ericch

Post by ericch »

Birdy wrote:Hello Dirk & Eric,

When you open BirdieSync settings on the Android device (BirdieSync application, click on "Settings" button, select "Contact" tab), which contact accounts did you select to be synchronized ? Do you have other accounts that you haven't selected ?
Thanks.
Hello Birdie,
On my Android device (LG Optimus One P500 Android 2.2), in BirdieSync settings, I have 3 accounts: Phone (default), Phone (com.mobileleader.sync) and a gmail account. Only "Phone (default)" is selected. After selecting the second "Phone (com.mobileleader.sync)" account, my new contacts created on my mobile phone were added to my contacts in Thunderbird 7.0. It appears that whenever I create a contact in my mobile phone, it is created in the account "Phone (com.mobileleader.sync)" and not in "Phone (default)". I don't understand why. Have you any idea why I have two different "Phone" accounts? Thanks in advance.
Eric

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@Eric:

Actually, the difficulty with Android is that the situation vary with the manufacturer which can customize the contact application. The first "Phone" account displayed in the contact account list in BirdieSync settings is a kind of "default" account. Note that this phone account has no "type" associated with it. With some manufacturer, this account is used to store contacts, and with some it is not used at all and contacts are stored in another account. It seems to be your case since your contacts are created by default in another "Phone" account whose type is "com.mobileleader.sync". The problem is that, for technical reasons, BirdieSync cannot always know if the first default "Phone" account is used or not. So I would say, look at the number of contacts stored in each account (they are displayed in BirdieSync contact account settings) and select the accounts with a lot of contacts. So in your case, you may select the second "Phone" account whose type is "com.mobileleader.sync".
Birdy

ericch

Post by ericch »

Birdy wrote:@Eric:

Actually, the difficulty with Android is that the situation vary with the manufacturer which can customize the contact application. The first "Phone" account displayed in the contact account list in BirdieSync settings is a kind of "default" account. Note that this phone account has no "type" associated with it. With some manufacturer, this account is used to store contacts, and with some it is not used at all and contacts are stored in another account. It seems to be your case since your contacts are created by default in another "Phone" account whose type is "com.mobileleader.sync". The problem is that, for technical reasons, BirdieSync cannot always know if the first default "Phone" account is used or not. So I would say, look at the number of contacts stored in each account (they are displayed in BirdieSync contact account settings) and select the accounts with a lot of contacts. So in your case, you may select the second "Phone" account whose type is "com.mobileleader.sync".
Hello Birdy,
Thanks a lot for the explanation. I have deleted all my contacts on my phone, selected only "Phone (com.mobileleader.sync)" in Birdiesync Android which became "default", resetted the synchronization of my contacts on my PC and sent again all my contacts to this "Phone (com.mobileleader.sync)" account. When I create a new contact on my mobile phone, it is created directly in this account.
Eric

motouser

Post by motouser »

Hello Birdie,

the solution of a change of the account does only partially work for me.

I have to set the googlemail phone book as default on my Motorola Defy. Then, the contacts from the Defy are synchronized towards TB.
However, the Display Name is not getting synchronized and I have to add it manually in TB later.

Any solution for that ?

Dirk

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Dirk,

Presently BirdieSync doesn't synchronize the display name. So as a workaround you may use a different sorting to display your contacts (Address book, menu "View/Display name a" and select "First name Last name" or "Last name, First name").
But a new version is being worked out with the possibility to synchronize the display name with some flexibility.
Birdy

motouser

Post by motouser »

Ok, good. I will hope for the new version.

What really bothers me is that I have to give my contacts to Google in order to perform the synchronization.

Thanks,
Dirk

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

BirdieSync 2.3.7.0 hast just been released and should allow you to synchronize "Display name" field. You can configure how this field must be synchronized in BirdieSync options (Thunderbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Options...", Contact panel, Miscellaneous tab). You must also update BirdieSync app on the Android Market to the latest version (presently 2.3.5.0).
Birdy