Fields correspondence

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
otraver

Fields correspondence

Post by otraver »

Hi all,

I read that in the last version of BS, the v 2.3.7.1 one of the changes is:

Code: Select all

- In BirdieSync options in Thunderbird, "Contact" panel, "Miscellaneous" tab, it is now possible to select how to synchronize the "Display name" field in both synchronization ways: "Not synchronized", "Remote 'Display name'", "First name Last name", "Last name, First name"
- Android: it is now possible to synchronize the "Display name" field
I post two images, the one from the TB contact manager fields, and the other from the android contact manager fields.
What is the correspondence between fields?
ImageImage

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Fields correspondence

Post by Birdy »

Hello otraver,

Yes, the "Display name" matches "Mostrado" in your language.
Based on the screenshots of your Android device (a HTC device ?), I think no editable field matches the "Display name". But it doesn't mean that the "Display name" doesn't exist on your Android device. This field may exist and be stored in database. But the problem with Android devices is that they can be customized by the manufacturers which lead to different behavior according to the device you have... For instance, on some HTC device, when you enter the first name and last name, you can choose if you want the "Display name" to be "First name Last name" or "Last name, First name" but no other value. On your device, the screenshot doesn't seem to display the "Display name". So that could mean that it is automatically generated by the Android contact application and maybe used when displaying the contact list if you don't find any option to sort your contacts by Last name or First name.
Birdy

otraver

Post by otraver »

Birdy wrote:Hello otraver,
Yes, the "Display name" matches "Mostrado" in your language.
Thank's
Based on the screenshots of your Android device (a HTC device ?),
Yes, a HTC Sensation
I think no editable field matches the "Display name". But it doesn't mean that the "Display name" doesn't exist on your Android device. This field may exist and be stored in database. But the problem with Android devices is that they can be customized by the manufacturers which lead to different behavior according to the device you have... For instance, on some HTC device, when you enter the first name and last name, you can choose if you want the "Display name" to be "First name Last name" or "Last name, First name" but no other value. On your device, the screenshot doesn't seem to display the "Display name". So that could mean that it is automatically generated by the Android contact application and maybe used when displaying the contact list if you don't find any option to sort your contacts by Last name or First name.
So what is the best setting for my device?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

So what is the best setting for my device?
It depends on how your contacts are classified in Thunderbird and your Android device. Is it Last name, First name ? or the contrary ?
Do you have special values for the Display name in Thunderbird which are different from "First name Last name" (or the contrary) or is it always "First name Last name" (or the contrary) ?
For instance, let's suppose that the default "First name Last Name" (when you fill a new contact in Thunderbird) is OK for you in Thunderbird and that all your *Thunderbird contacts are sorted by First name. Let's suppose also that contacts are sorted by First name on your Android device. Then you may choose "Remote Display name" for both settings in Birdiesync options.
Birdy