Cannot find synchronized contacts

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
LWSync

Cannot find synchronized contacts

Post by LWSync »

All my contacts sync correctly, but they do not appear in the "All Contacts" list of the device. Since the find function on the device searches this "All Contacts" list, I can never use "Find contacts" to get to a contact. This can make it quite slow to scroll to a Contact since I have well over 1000.

What am I doing wrong? How do I specify that contacts from the computer should go to the XXXXX@gmail.com address book or what ever it may take to be visible in the All Contacts list?

Thank you in advance.

Here are more details. I hope they help...
I just tried deleting all from the device and reloading them. It didn't help.
In order to see all the contacts in the list, I have to select Custom, Customize, XXXXX@gmail.com, then both My Contacts and All Other Contacts.
It appears that only contacts entered on the device are searchable. These are the only ones that appear under All Contacts and XXXXX@gmail.com

All appears normal on the Calendar sync.

Computer information:
Windows XP, Thunderbird 8, address book is called, "Personal Address Book"
Lightning 1, Calendar is called, "XXXXX@gmail.com"
BirdieSync 2,3,8.0, manually updated 2011-11-12 because Thunderbird upgraded itself and BirdieSync complained.

Device information:
Motorola Xoom, Andriod 3
There are two accounts under contacts, BirdieSync and XXXXX@gmail.com.
The only calendar is XXXXX@gmail.com
BirdieSync 2.3.6.0 from the Market and automatic update is checked.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Cannot find synchronized contacts

Post by Birdy »

Hello LWSync,

I sent you a new test version by email to investigate on your problem.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Cannot find synchronized contacts

Post by Birdy »

Here is an update on the investigations done on this problem which allowed LWSync to solve his problem:

It seems that only contacts placed in the group "My Contacts" belonging to the Google account are searched. By default contacts which are synchronized from Thunderbird by BirdieSync are placed in no group.
To solve this problem, there are 2 possibilities.

First it is recommended to install the extension: MoreFunctionsForAddressBook
https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/morecols-en.html
It allows to modify the category of a contact.

Here are the two options:
- Leave unchecked the option "link address book to contact group" (in Thunderbird BirdieSync options, Contact panel, Group tab) and set the category of all the contacts to "My Contacts" so that they are synchronized in the "My Contacts" group on the Android device.
- Check the option "link address book to contact group" and rename the address book to "My Contacts" (strictly respecting the lower/upper cases) and then synchronize again. The contacts should be moved to the "My Contacts" group on the Android device.

LWSync chose the second option and it worked well.
Birdy