Birdie Sync 2.3.5.1, Thunderbird 6, two problems

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
vandives

Birdie Sync 2.3.5.1, Thunderbird 6, two problems

Post by vandives »

I had earlier versions of Birdie Sync and Thunderbird working, just syncing selected address books.

I am running Windows XP Pro with patches up to date.

I have updated Thunderbird to 6.0.2 and just updated Birdie Sync on both desktop and Android 2.3.2 (LG Optimus) phone. Next, enabled wi-fi on phone and connected to network ok. But Birdie Sync could not connect to server on my desktop. Opened Tools->Birdie Sync->Options in Thunderbird. Sure enough, IP address had changed. Changed to sync with computer name (verified in both the options window and in My Computer). The phone still could not resolve the name to an IP address. Switched to new IP address. (Somewhere in here I set a new sync connection password on desktop and phone, and documented it this time.) Still no luck.

I can't recall if I closed the Thunderbird Birdie Sync Options dialog while making these attempts. When I did close that dialog, Thunderbird crashed, but Birdie Sync stayed up on the desktop. I tried shutting down the phone's wi-fi connection and restarting the desktop. Merely opening and closing that dialog crashes Thunderbird.

I looked at a vaguely similar problem in the forum and checked Windows Firewall, found Birdie Sync allowed.

I don't know what else to do. Hope some one can help.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Birdie Sync 2.3.5.1, Thunderbird 6, two problems

Post by Birdy »

Hello vandives,

Did you try to temporarily shutdown your firewall and see if know you can connect ? (even if you checked that BirdieSync was authorized)
Same question if you have an anti-virus.

Regarding the crash, is it reproducible ?
If yes, do you have crash information displayed or do you have a window offering you to send information to Mozilla ? If you have crash information, which information is displayed ?
Thanks.
Birdy

vandives

Post by vandives »

Thanks for the prompt reply and sorry not to respond likewise. I was expecting an e-mail. This time I noticed and checked the Notify me option.

I did shut down the Windows Firewall, but that did not help. My anti-virus tool, the free version of Avast!, does not have a firewall. (When I had a problem getting my first version to work, the solution involved neither of these.)

Since I first posted the problem, I added a CAT5 connection to my ethernet card (something long wanted and much faster). Because BirdieSync sees both of the connections but does not seem to recognize which is wi-fi and which ethernet, I made sure ethernet was disabled, leaving only the wi-fi connection enabled. (Even if not necessary, it is easy enough to switch the desktop between connections.)

I had changed the password on the phone and in Birdie Sync on the desktop to something different than that for the wi-fi access point. I changed them back to be the same as for the access point.

I then restarted the computer and tried again. No luck.

The crash is reproducible. The Mozilla bug report window has a details button that opens a small window. It appears to contain configuration and refers to application state information. I have found I can easily copy and save all of the Details window content, should you believe it would be useful.

Because of the crash I think the next thing to try might be a complete uninstall/reinstall of Birdie Sync on the desktop.

Ultimately, I could revert to the earlier versions of BirdieSync and Thunderbird, unless you have additional thoughts/questions/suggestions.

vandives

Post by vandives »

With the passage of time, the updates to Thunderbird and a compatible version of Birdie Sync, the problems described in this thread have been solved.