Transfering data from Google to Thunderbird and Lightning

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
MichaelSD

Transfering data from Google to Thunderbird and Lightning

Post by MichaelSD »

I tried to search , but my search-fu was weak, so I am sorry if it is common question.

I have an Android phone where I keep my Contacts and Calendar data. I would like to move them to Thunderbird and sync only Thunderbird and the phone, leaving out Google altogether.

Is there a true and tried way to do that? I am just asking before I delete my precious data...

Ákos

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Transfering data from Google to Thunderbird and Lightnin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Akos,

Which model of mobile device do you have ?
When you open BirdieSync settings on your Android device (Settings button in BirdieSync app), which accounts are listed on your Android devices for contacts and events and what is the number of contacts and events for each account ?
So at the moment all your data is on the Android device and no data is in Thunderbird ?
Thanks.
Birdy

MichaelSD

Post by MichaelSD »

Hello Birdy, thank you for the fast answer.

I have a Samsung Nexus S and I have two accounts in Birdiesync's setting tab: Phone and my google account.

I got the Wifi connection up and running phone is connected and Thunderbird is connected, but the Clalendar icon (the third one in the row )is not highlighted.
I did my first sync (hooray!) and I got my contacts in Thunderbird, but nothing with the calendar.

Now, I have the following problems:

1. As written above, Lightning (version 1.2.1) is not syncing with my calendar.
2. How do I get my contacts into my phone? I would like to disable Google syncing. Same for calendar if I get it working.

Thanks,

Ákos

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

When you manually create a contact on the phone, can you create it in the Phone account ? Or is it only possible to create it in the Google account ?

BirdieSync only synchronize calendars on your Android device with the SAME NAME as the calendars you selected in BirdieSync options in Thunderbird.
So if you wish to synchronize your Google calendar, create a calendar in Thunderbird with the same name as on your Android device (respecting lower cases and upper cases) and select it to be synchronized in Thunderbird BirdieSync options. Also Google account must be selected in BirdieSync settings on your Android device for events. Event synchronization must also be selected in BirdieSync Activation tab to be able to synchronize calendars.
You mentioned that the calendar icon was grayed out. But the third icon is the task icon. It's the second which must not be grayed out (it you checked event synchronization in BirdieSync Activation tab).

Just for my own information, would you have expected BirdieSync to automatically create a calendar in Thunderbird matching the Google calendar on your Android device ? And then transfer all your Android events to this newly created calendar in Thunderbird ?
Birdy

MichaelSD

Post by MichaelSD »

Dear Birdy!

I will check upon the instructions and report the results. I got the calendar too! Thank you for the help.

Now that I have everything in Thunderbird / Lightning, how do I get the contacts and calendar from Thunderbird into my phone without Google? I assume switching of syncing won't be enough?

To your question. I expected that my empty calendar is filled with my appointments and I got no appointments and no error messages. It would be nice to have a pop up or something like that with this information you gave me. I do not know how many users stumble upon this problem, but I admit of not having read the FAQ regarding the calendar issue, because I was busy with my contacts problem.

PS: I think an entry for "How to transfer your data from Google for cloudless sync" would help.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The goal will be to transfer all your contacts to the Phone account (if possible) and all the events to the BirdieSync account and then to remove duplicates present in Google account.
I assume that all your data is up-to-date in Thunderbird/Lightning.

Regarding contacts:

First you must check that you can still access to your Phone account. On some devices, Android assumes that if you create a Google account, then you have to use it when you create a new contact. It means that when you manually create a contact, you can no longer select the "Phone" account to create your contact in. Google is automatically selected. So make a test to check if you can still manually create a contact in the Phone account. Check also that your contact is not moved to the Google account after a few seconds (you may look at the details of your contact to see in which account it is).

If you can use Phone account, RESET contact synchronization in BirdieSync Activation tab. In BirdieSync settings on the Android device select "Phone" account to be synchronized and select it as the DEFAULT account (where new synchronized contacts will be created) and unselect Google account. Then synchronize again: all your Thunderbird contacts should be now in your Phone account.
Since you should now have duplicate contacts in Phone account and Google account, remove contacts in Google account to avoid duplicates (Android BirdieSync menu "Remove contacts" and select "Google" account). Ensure to have Google synchronization disabled before doing it (see next paragraph).

If you cannot use Phone account, then you must stick to Google account. But you may disable Google synchronization to avoid sending your contacts to the cloud: Android menu Settings/Accounts & Sync/Google and uncheck contact synchronization.

Regarding events:

I assume that you have Android 2.2 or later (not Android 2.1)
RESET event synchronization in BirdieSync Activation tab.
In Android BirdieSync settings, select "BirdieSync" as the event account to be synchronized and select it as the DEFAULT. Then synchronize: a new calendar should be now created in BirdieSync account with all the events coming from Thunderbird.
To avoid duplicates on your Android devices, you may choose BirdieSync menu "Remove events" and choose "Google" account. Ensure to have Google event synchronization disabled before doing it.

In any case, ensure to have a recent BACKUP of your contacts and events before synchronizing. :)
Birdy

MichaelSD

Post by MichaelSD »

Dear Birdy!

I got everything right the first time! Thank for the detailed instructions. It should go into the FAQ fo, it was really helpful!

Thank again!

Ákos