Thunderbird Connection settings changed???

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
aedson

Thunderbird Connection settings changed???

Post by aedson »

I only HAD thunderbird check for new mail when I opened Thunderbird. Now when activesync is connected to my mobil, Thunderbird opens itself and checks for new mail every 5 minutes or so. Why is this and where can it be changed???? (It is a pain in the arse!)

Art

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Tell me if I am wrong but you probably own a windows mobile 5.0 device. In that case, ActiveSync usual behavior is to periodically launch a synchronization. Thunderbird needs to be opened to do it. That's why it is launched and that your mails are checked.
I suppose that you close Thunderbird after checking your mails. It will then be relaunched for synchronization.
The simplest thing to do at present time is to keep Thunderbird opened. It shouldn't check new mails even synchronizing.

I'll see if there is a mean to control this synchronization periodicity or to prevent mails from being checked. I'll keep you informed.

Do you have a slow connection to only check your mails at Thunderbird start or is it just a personal preference ?

Please, tell me if this first analysis seems correct to you.
Thanks.
Birdy

aedson

Post by aedson »

This is just a personal preference. I didn't want Thunderbird (nor Outlook, for that matter) checking my email when I wasn't around as my settings delete messages from the server, and it is difficult to retrieve messages remotely if they aren't there any longer.

In other words, I want to be in control of when and how I get my messages, and do not want to trust any software guru, author, or other.

<Grin>

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I made some search about the periodic synchronization of ActiveSync. Here is the situation. When a device is cradled an turned on, every 5 minutes, ActiveSync launches a new synchronization. Unfortunatelly with Windows Mobile 5.0 (not with Windows mobile 2003), I found no mean to change this periodicity, even with a registry hack. It is as if this value was hard coded. :( If you find a solution to deal with it. I would be very happy to use it !
If thunderbird is not running at synchronization start, BirdieSync launches it to be able to perform the synchro. So, there are two potential issues you could want to be addressed.
The first one, is not having Thunderbird running all the time you have your device cradled (is it a problem for you ?). I could maybe set an option to start Thunderbird at first synchronization and no longer start it at next synchronizations. It is feasible but I am not sure it would a good solution (it would lead with "Attention required" message in ActiveSync window).
The second one is to prevent email checking (only at new start) if Thunderbird is launched by BirdieSync, possibily leaving Thunderbird running in background during next synchronizations.
Please, let me know what you think about it.
Birdy