Contacts Not Syncing to TB

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
BirdieFan

Contacts Not Syncing to TB

Post by BirdieFan »

Hi Birdie,

I have HTC Incredible, running Birdie 2.3.7.0
Windows XP, ThunderBird 9.0.1 and BirdieSync 2.3.9.0

Noticed that Contacts created on the android are not synching back to TB.
Default Contact Account is Phone and neither of the other two accounts are checked (or used for contacts).

I wiped TB addressbook and resynched, but no contacts created on the android made it to TB.

Any ideas on how I can correct this without synching to gmail?

Thanks.
BF

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Contacts Not Syncing to TB

Post by Birdy »

Hello BirdieFan,

When you look at BirdieSync settings on your Android device, when contact accounts are listed, you should see the number of contacts for each account. How many contacts do you have in the "Phone" account ?
Which other accounts are listed ? (without giving your gmail address)
When you manually create a new contact on the phone, in which account is it created ? (you may look at the details of the contact after the creation)
Thanks.
Birdy

BirdieFan

Post by BirdieFan »

Thanks for the quick response!

The contact count is 944
The three choices for accounts to sync, under Contacts are:
Phone (which is checked and is Default)
blahblah@gmail.com (unchecked unchecked and listed as com.google)
anotherblah@gmail.com (unchecked. and listeed as com.google)

Strangely, I do not see a way to distinguish the account that a new contact is created in. I edit the contact and no options other than Join, indicate that there is more than one account available in which to create a contact.

Is there an option that's not readily visible?

-BF

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

When you create a contact, cannot you choose in which account you want to create the contact ? Cannot you choose at least between the 2 Google accounts ? (and maybe also the Phone account)
Since you have an HTC device, I would have thought you'd have a PSPC contact account (default account on HTC devices which is also used by HTC Sync).
Do you have the stock ROM (the original one on your Android device) or did you install a cooked ROM ?
Thanks.
Birdy

BirdieFan

Post by BirdieFan »

No. I'm not running stock.
As soon as the Incredible was rooted, I stepped away from the HTC Sense interface.

I'm running MIUI 11209. It's a good looking and fast ROM based on Gingerbread (Android Version 2.3.5)

Is there a way I can tell where it is putting the contacts? Which account it is associating?

Thanks again.
BF

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

To know in which account new contacts are created, you may open BirdieSync settings, go in "Contact" tab, note the number of contacts for each account. Then manually create a contact on your device and check again the number for each account. Then you should know if which account the contact was created.
If the contact is always created in a gmail account, then you'd have to stick with it.
But you can disable Google sync so that gmail account behaves has a casual account. Android menu Settings/Account & Sync/Google and uncheck contact synchronization.
Birdy

JLJLJL

Post by JLJLJL »

Hi Birdy,

I seem to have a similar issue but with syncing contacts edited on my phone back to my PC.

I swear it worked before, but maybe my recent Thunderbird update knocked it out? Now it only syncs one-way, from Thunderbird to Phone.

I have an HTC Desire, running BirdieSync 2.3.7.0, using Oxygen ROM.
Windows 7 64-bit, ThunderBird 10.0.1 and BirdieSync 2.3.10.1.

The only other thing I did was test out DroidWall. But I have since disabled it so I'm not sure if that was a cause for anything.

Thanks for any help.

(Two-way syncing still works for the Calendar though).

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello JLJLJL,

When you say "edited", you mean that the contact is already created on the Android device and synchronized with BirdieSync, and you then edit it (update one of its field) ? And no synchronization with BirdieSync ?
Could you confirm that this contact is not "linked" ? I mean that the same contact (with a specific user name) could be compounded of 2 different contacts (with the same user name though) belonging to 2 different accounts (Phone, Google, Facebook, etc.). So although it seems you edit one unique contact, actually it is one of the 2 linked contacts. So if you selected only one account to be synchronized with BirdieSync and that you modified the linked contact belonging to another account, then the modifications would not be synchronized since they were done on a linked contact which is not synchronized. That could be a hint but maybe your contact belongs to a single account.
Birdy

JLJLJL

Post by JLJLJL »

Hi Birdy,
When you say "edited", you mean that the contact is already created on the Android device and synchronized with BirdieSync, and you then edit it (update one of its field) ? And no synchronization with BirdieSync ?
Yes, that's the problem. I'm pretty sure it worked before, but I can't recall if I tested it that way.
Could you confirm that this contact is not "linked" ?
I don't think it's linked as I store all my contacts in the built-in *Phone* account and none in my *name@gmail* account.

And just to test, I deleted all my contacts manually on my phone along with the BirdieSync app. I then re-installed the app, and reset the synchronization and directed BirdieSync to copy all the contacts from Thunderbird to my Phone.

I then edited a Contact on my Phone, tried to sync, but it didn't detect any changes.

Do you think something could be off with my *Phone* account?

Also, my device will not allow me to select the *Phone* account when I create a new contact. I remember you had a warning about this so I'm wondering if this might be related?

Thanks for any help :)

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It may be necessary to send you a new test version to investigate on this specific problem.
When you edit a contact, do you have this problem if for instance you modify the last name of a contact ?
Birdy

JLJLJL

Post by JLJLJL »

Hi Birdy,

Sorry for the late reply :)

I'm travelling right now so I'm unable to test it out on my desktop, but it's probably something wrong on my end because I just tried to do a USB-sync on my laptop and everything works fine.

However, it's interesting you mention if there's a sync problem when I modify the [last name] because the previous sync issues involved changes to the first name only. When I return I'll test it out and report back.

Thanks so much for your help!