Annoying message from Thunderbird after update

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
pjdevries

Annoying message from Thunderbird after update

Post by pjdevries »

Hi,

After updating to Thunderbird 10.x and BirdieSync 2.3.10.1, Thunderbird keeps asking me to allow installation of the BirdieSync add-on, each time I start Thunderbird. If I allow the installation and restart Thunderbird, the problem seems to have disappeared. Until I start Thunderbird the next time.

Any idea what might causes this behavior and how it can be solved?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Annoying message from Thunderbird after update

Post by Birdy »

Hello pjdevries,

If you uninstall BirdieSync on the desktop, then start Thunderbird so that it detects that BirdieSync extension was removed and then reinstall BirdieSync, do you still have the problem ?
Thanks.
Birdy

pjdevries

Post by pjdevries »

Hi Birdie,

Thanks for the follow up. I uninstalled BirdieSync desktop, twice even, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I run Thundebird on two different PC's, sharing the same profile on my NAS (see this other topic). Because BirdieSync doesn't seem to handle that properly (I ended up with duplicate entries in my address book), I removed it from one of the PC's. So now Thunderbird shares one profile among two PC's but BirdieSync desktop is available on only one of them. Could that cause the problem?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Not sure what could cause this. But maybe there is link to the fact that the profile is shared, even if I don't see why since all information should be stored in the same profile.

You may try to clean the extension cache as described in this FAQ topic (look at the last section for Thunderbird 5.0+).
But the drawback is that you might have to authorize again all your extensions and some extensions may be marked as incompatible so it may be necessary to reinstall them.
And I cannot be sure it would solve your problem.
Birdy

pjdevries

Post by pjdevries »

Finally got around to re-installing BirdieSync on my second PC. It indeed solved the problem and the annoying messages and problem of having to re-start Thunderbird each time, has now disappeared.