Can't sync new contact--what am I doing wrong?

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
paulw

Can't sync new contact--what am I doing wrong?

Post by paulw »

I have not been able to sync a new contact--what am I doing wrong? (I HAVE been able to sync new Events: doing add, changes, moves, and deletes in Lightning, fine)

I DID do an initial contact sync fine (I had wiped out all existing contacts on my Android phone). But I can't add a new contact on my PC and have it show up on my Android phone (haven't tried a change or delete). My PC Thunderbird Personal Address book and Android BirdieSync app show I have 64 contacts but only 63 show in my Android People contacts (I'm using a Nexus S Android phone with Ice Cream Sandwich).

In BirdieSync on my Android phone I am syncing to my gmail address (using my server hostname, not the IP address). In my Android phone I'm displaying People contacts for my gmail address. I've also tried displaying contacts only for BirdieSync and then for All contacts, but still only my old 63 contacts show up. My Android phone People contacts Settings have DISPLAY OPTIONS of Sort list by Last name and View contact names as Last name first. I've also rebooted my Android phone between sync tests to check People contacts.

In BirdieSync settings on my PC, the Contacts sync is From PC to mobile device (the same for Events), I do NOT Link address book to contact group, and the "Display Name" synchronized to Thunderbird is Mobile device display name; "Display Name" synchronized to the mobile device is Thunderbird display name. It is also set to use the Thunderbird default profile (I just have one default personal Address book). I have NOT tried to Reset synchronization.

On my PC Thunderbird Address Book, the Contact names of Last: and Display: are identical (I do not have any entry for First: name; FYI in Last: & Display: what appears is last name[comma] first name).

When I added my new Contact I called it A NEW TEST CONTACT (with Last: and Display: identical) and also entered a Home: phone number and four words under Other Notes:

On my PC I'm running Thunderbird 11.0.1, Lightning 1.3, and downloaded the BirdieSync from your site that matched these. On my Android phone I'm running the latest BirdieSync from the Android store.

I'm currently testing on an XP PC; after I get the Contact sync working I'm going to put BirdieSync on my Windows 7 PC and license it there.

A SECOND QUESTION: I had trouble getting the password for BirdieSync on Android and on my PC to be what I thought I entered. I entered 4 characters but 8 displayed when I entered it both on Android AND on my PC. It worked, but I am worried about this when I put BirdieSync on my Windows 7 PC. ALSO, I couldn't see any way to re-enter the BirdieSync password on my PC (but I can re-enter it in BirdieSync on Android). CAN I SEE THE PASSWORD AND/OR CORRECT ON PC IF NEEDED?

Thanks for any help you provide.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Can't sync new contact--what am I doing wrong?

Post by Birdy »

Hello paulw,

How did you get the number of contacts ? At the top of Android contact app, or in Android BirdieSync settings in Contact tab ? Are these numbers identical or different ?
Could it be that 2 contacts with the same name were linked by the contact app (and displayed as one) ? (which is very likely the case if the above numbers are different)
Do you have at least one contact named "A NEW TEST CONTACT" on your Android device or is it missing ?
Can you confirm that this new contact was created in the address book that you selected to be synchronized in BirdieSync options ?
Also, no unresolved contacts while synchronizing ?

> I entered 4 characters but 8 displayed
The number of stars doesn't match the number of letters of your password for security reason

> CAN I SEE THE PASSWORD AND/OR CORRECT ON PC IF NEEDED?
Yes. Simply edit the password field and press "OK" button to save the modifications.
Birdy

paulw

Post by paulw »

>>How did you get the number of contacts ? At the top of Android contact app, or in Android BirdieSync settings in Contact tab ? Are these numbers identical or different ?
--63 at the top of Android contact app
--64 in Android BirdieSync setting in its Contacts tab. Also counted the contacts in my PC Thunderbird app--64 entries after I added A NEW TEST CONTACT. Adding A NEW TEST CONTACT in my PC Thunderbird is the only thing I did differently after the initial sync that filled my Android phone--I did not add to, change, or delete the contents of any field in my other 63 entries.

>>Could it be that 2 contacts with the same name were linked by the contact app (and displayed as one) ?
--No. I checked all the contacts on Android AND on Thunderbird Address Book--they are all distinct with the same values

>>Do you have at least one contact named "A NEW TEST CONTACT" on your Android device or is it missing ?
--No--that is the problem. After using BIrdieSync and syncing with settings and as outlined in the previous post, A NEW TEST CONTACT only appears on my Thunderbird Address Book, not in my Android contact app.

>>Can you confirm that this new contact was created in the address book that you selected to be synchronized in BirdieSync options ?
--Yes, as detailed above.

>>Also, no unresolved contacts while synchronizing ?
--That is correct--the Unresolved items tab in my PC BirdieSync has no entries.

>>> CAN I SEE THE PASSWORD AND/OR CORRECT ON PC IF NEEDED?
>>Yes. Simply edit the password field and press "OK" button to save the modifications.
--Thanks, my apologies. I could have sworn that field was locked and I could not change the entry--I see now I was wrong.

Thank you very much for your responses. I look forward to further suggestions. I'd be happy to try anything to resolve this e.g. Reset synchronization, send a copy of any files, etc.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I sent you a new test version by email to investigate on your problem. Please respond directly to support(at)birdiesync.com.
Thanks.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

In contact application settings, you may also have an option "Only show contacts with phone numbers". Check that this option is not ticked.
Birdy