BirdieSync 2.3.2.0, iOS 6 and TBird 15.0.1

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
globalSchmidt

BirdieSync 2.3.2.0, iOS 6 and TBird 15.0.1

Post by globalSchmidt »

Looks like iOS 6 broke the ability to Sync between ipad and Tbird....

Scenario -
All is working fine with BirdieSync 2.3.2.0 and iOS 5.1.1 on both iPad2 and iPhone 4S with Thunderbird 15.0.1 running on a Windows 7 PC.
Today I accepted Apple's offer to upgrade to iOS 6. Cautious, I did so ONLY on my iPad.
I then tried to sync the iPad with Thunderbird and it fails...as soon as you press the "connect" the iPad app closes.

I have tried:
powering down the ipad and powering it back up
rebooting the ipad (off and home held down until it reboots)
deleted the ipad app and reinstalled it
double-checked the IP settings and the password on both the iPad app and the desktop

None of these attempts have cured the problem.

For a sanity check, I tried to sync my iPhone (untouched by the iOS 6 upgrade) and everything continues to work fine!

Do the Birdie folks know about this? Is there an update coming to work with iOS 6?

Hope it's coming soon!

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: BirdieSync 2.3.2.0, iOS 6 and TBird 15.0.1

Post by Birdy »

Hello globalSchmidt,

With iOS 6.0, BirdieSync 2.3.2.0 on the iPhone could not connect to the desktop. Also this version could possibly crash when displaying the error message about this connection error.
These problems were fixed in next version 2.3.3.0 which has been submitted to Apple for approval.
It may take several days to Apple to review this App and approve it though...

If you are in a hurry to synchronize your data and cannot wait for Apple approval, please send a mail to support(at)birdiesync.com mentioning this problem with the UDID of your iPhone. This UDID is necessary to be able to generate a specific version of BirdieSync that will run on your iPhone and that will be sent to you.

You can find out your device’s UDID using iTunes 7.7. or later. To do this, connect your device to your Mac and launch iTunes. In iTunes, select your device in the ‘Devices’ section and navigate to the Summary tab. Click on the Serial Number label to reveal the Identifier field and the 40 character UDID. Press Control+C to copy the UDID to your clipboard.

Or:

You may install this application:
http://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/ad-hoc-h ... 91333?mt=8
This application would automatically send your UDID. Please enter support(at)birdiesync.com in the "To:" field in this application.

Thank you for your patience.
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Apple has approved next version of BirdieSync and it has just been released on the App Store.
Please update your version of BirdieSync to 2.3.3.0 (check the version of BirdieSync installed on your iPhone pressing the (i) button at the bottom right of the main screen).
This new version should solve the connection problem on iOS 6.0.
Birdy

globalSchmidt

Post by globalSchmidt »

Got the new version (2.3.3.0) download and installed it on my iPad. Thank you!

On my iPad, I now get the message: "Impossible to connect to server...Please check that the host is reachable...etc."

I have wireless on my iPad working fine and I've checked the IP address in the settings menu and still no joy. BTW, I'm still able to sync my iPHONE (running iOS5.1.1 and BirdieSync 2.3.2.0) with my desktop so I know the "host" is working just fine and the IP address is correct.

Suggestions?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

When you tried to connect with your iPad, did you check that BirdieSync on your iPhone was not already connected to the desktop ? That would prevent BirdieSync on your iPad from connecting. BirdieSync on the desktop can only handle one connection at a time.
Birdy

globalSchmidt

Post by globalSchmidt »

As indicated in my previous post, I synced my iPad first and then my iPhone. I know that BirdieSync only handles one connection at a time.

Since my last post I took the risk of upgrading my iPhone to iOS 6 (so now both iPad and iPhone are on iOS 6).

I first tried to sync from my iPad (making sure the iPhone was not connected) and I still get the "impossible to connect..." message.

I then tried to sync from my iPhone and all worked well.

So we can at least narrow down the problem conditions (or settings) that exist on the iPad (and not on the iPhone). What settings, if any would prevent the connection to the server? Both devices are on the same wireless network (and sitting 3 feet from the router with a strong signal).

globalSchmidt

Post by globalSchmidt »

Still having this issue. Is there a fix?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Some other tests were done when connecting from an iPad with iOS 6.0. The connection in itself was successful with version 2.3.3.0 of BirdieSync.
A new test version was sent to you to investigate on your problem. Please directly respond to support with the logs.
Birdy

Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hi,

I'd like to try out your application but so far was unable to do so. I have an iPod touch 4th gen under iOS 6.0 with BirdieSync 2.3.3.0 and a PC under Win 7 with BirdieSync 2.4.4.0, TB 16.0.1 and Lightening 1.8. So far they cannot resolve the server hostname among themselves. What should I do to make it work?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Optimist,

A FAQ entry has recently been added if you don't succeed in connecting over Wi-Fi. Could it help ?
Do you only have a problem when resolving the PC hostname ? What if you try an IP address and temporarily disable your firewall ?
Thanks.
Birdy

Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Hello Birdy,
Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll try your suggestions and report the results, most likely tomorrow.

Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Birdy wrote: Do you only have a problem when resolving the PC hostname ? What if you try an IP address and temporarily disable your firewall ?
The devices connected once I entered desktop ip address manually, thank you. For some reason after first syncronisation I keept being offered to delete contacts on PC, though I chose to combine both sources but that seems to be a different issue.