Whats the OK procedure?

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
otraver

Whats the OK procedure?

Post by otraver »

Hello guys,

Firstly, excuse me for my bad english, I'm spanish.

I'm using Birdiesync for many years.

My first device was a Qtek S100 with Windows Mobile, then followed with HTC Diamond, an HTC Nexus One (now my wife uses it) and now use a HTC Sensation.
In my android Sensation I changed the original rom by a cooked one, the Vipers 1.6.2 whit android 4.0.4 and HTC Sense 4.1.

Actually I can't edit any contact in my device and I have read that is for the Android S.O. change.

I have configured Birdiesync as show the following images.

Image Image
Image Image

And this is the image that shows the accounts I can see in "Contacts" phone app.

I deactivated the Google contacts Sync but I would like my contacts from Thunderbird address book will sync with my device and also with my google account, if this is possible.

I'm considering reinstalling the rom from zero so i was wondering: What is the correct procedure? What account should I choose as default to sync my contacts?

Thank's in advance.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Whats the OK procedure?

Post by Birdy »

Hello otraver,
Actually I can't edit any contact in my device and I have read that is for the Android S.O. change.
What do you mean buy "I can't edit any contact" ? Could you give me more details ? Are contacts not displayed in the Contact app ? When you look at the details of a contact are all fields displayed ? When you edit a contact, are all fields editable ? When you create a contact, are you asked to choose if you want to create a Google contact or a BirdieSync contact for instance ?

Note that since you have an HTC device, you may safely synchronize in "pcsc" account (check it also as the default account).
Caution: if you change your contact account, if is recommended to RESET contact synchronization in BirdieSync activation tab on the PC.

If you synchronize in another contact account, you can then remove contacts present in your previous contact account thanks to BirdieSync menu "Remove contacts" in Android BirdieSync app. That will void having duplicated contacts.

Also, what do you mean by "Android S.O. change" ? Did you mean Android Operating System ?
I would like my contacts from Thunderbird address book will sync with my device and also with my google account
It's not possible to synchronize in 2 accounts at the same time. You must choose in which default account you want to synchronize your contacts.
I'm considering reinstalling the rom from zero
Not sure it's necessary yet. After you do it, you may reinstall BirdieSync app and before reconnecting ensure to RESET the mobile device synchronization in BirdieSync Activation tab to avoid deleting items on the PC at next synchronization (all PIM data may have been deleted afer the ROM reinstallation).
Birdy

otraver

Post by otraver »

Birdy wrote:Hello otraver,
Hello and thanks for the quick answer...
What do you mean buy "I can't edit any contact" ?
Could you give me more details ?
When I choose one contact for editing is not possible because the screen is completelly black, empty ,no fields, no data.
Are contacts not displayed in the Contact app ?
Yes, I can see all BS contacts and also I can select that the app shows the rest of contacts accounts (Facebook, twitter, whatsapp...)
When you look at the details of a contact are all fields displayed ?
Yes, I can see all the detais as I have in TB address book.
When you edit a contact, are all fields editable ?
No, no fields appear, only a empty black screen.
When you create a contact, are you asked to choose if you want to create a Google contact or a BirdieSync contact for instance ?
When I create a contact and I press in the "contact type" button (to choose the account where to save it), I can choose between these: BirdieSync, SIM, Google and phone. If I choose "BirdieSync" or "SIM" account then the "Save" button is disabled, but if I select "google" or "phone" accounts then the "Save" button is active and allows me to save the contact.
Note that since you have an HTC device, you may safely synchronize in "pcsc" account (check it also as the default account).
So, you recommend synchronize with "pcsc" account instead of "BirdieSync" account?
Caution: if you change your contact account, if is recommended to RESET contact synchronization in BirdieSync activation tab on the PC.
Yes, thank you, I know. I learned this because of a few bad experiences, duplicate contacts, etc..
Also, what do you mean by "Android S.O. change" ? Did you mean Android Operating System ?
I think I have read in this forum that if my Android OS is ICS then the contacts created in thunderbird (and synchronized with BS) they can not be edited in the device. Am I right?
I would like my contacts from Thunderbird address book will sync with my device and also with my google account
It's not possible to synchronize in 2 accounts at the same time. You must choose in which default account you want to synchronize your contacts.
So ... Is there a way to sync TB contacts with my gmail contacts?
I'm considering reinstalling the rom from zero
Not sure it's necessary yet. After you do it, you may reinstall BirdieSync app and before reconnecting ensure to RESET the mobile device synchronization in BirdieSync Activation tab to avoid deleting items on the PC at next synchronization (all PIM data may have been deleted afer the ROM reinstallation).
Ok, Thank's
I'll start the whole process again. I Will install the rom from zero.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

So, you recommend synchronize with "pcsc" account instead of "BirdieSync" account?
On HTC devices, you can synchronize with "pcsc" account instead of BirdieSync.
No, no fields appear, only a empty black screen.
Maybe this problem is due to the fact that it's a cooked ROM but I cannot be certain. The problem with Android is that something can work on a ROM and not on a cooked one or a ROM customized by a manufacturer...
I think I have read in this forum that if my Android OS is ICS then the contacts created in thunderbird (and synchronized with BS) they can not be edited in the device. Am I right?
Normally, all contacts synchronized with BirdieSync should be editable. If not, there is a problem...
Before Android 4.0, it was not possible to use a BirdieSync account to store contacts because it was not possible to edit these contacts (or it was necessary to use a dedicated GUI and users didn't want that). Since 4.0, it should be possible to use BirdieSync account to store contacts and these contacts should be editable. If not, there might be something specific with the ROM...
So ... Is there a way to sync TB contacts with my gmail contacts?
If you want to synchronize your local contacts and your Google contacts separately on your Android device, I would recommended to have 2 address books in Thunderbird: one for your local contacts and one for your Google contacts.
The name of the address book for Google contact in Thunderbird should have the SAME name as the Google group which contains all your Google contacts on your Android device (same thing for local contacts).
Then check in Thunderbird BirdieSync options (menu Tools/BirdieSync/Options), Contact panel, Group tab, check "Link contact group to address book" (you may refer to BirdieSync help for more information regarding this option).
This way, all your Google contacts on your Android device will be synchronized with your address book for Google contacts in Thunderbird.
But note that because of Google restrictions, if you delete a too high number of contacts in your Google account on your Android device, it may stop Google synchronization with the web (for security reason). So it is not recommended to use BirdieSync "Replace" option at first synchronization in a Google account on your Android device.
Ensure to have a recent backup of your contacts before trying this option.
Birdy

otraver

Post by otraver »

Finally I solved my question.
Now I can create, modify and delete any contact in Thunderbird, in my Sensation or in the Gmail webshell and is is perfectly synchronized throughout.
I have configured Birdiesync in mi device as show this image.