Am I miss-understanding the features

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
pewe

Am I miss-understanding the features

Post by pewe »

I have today installed the latest version of Birdiesync which I have never used before.

When I set up the Thunderbird options I saw the list of phonebooks I set up, but the default Thunderbird 'Collected Addresses' was not there.
Not a problem as I never refer to that addressbook anyway.

I ticked all the others and then proceeded to sync to an empty address book on my Pocket PC.

As the sync proceeded I saw that there appeared to be many more contacts than I expected.

When the sync completed, I checked the device and found 2 problems -

First all of the contacts were listed in one 'Default' phone book and were no longer separated as they are in Thunderbird.

Second, all the information from the 'Collected Addresses' were synced too, which I did not want.

I was expecting the address books to be synchronised as seperate address books.

Am I missing something?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Just to be sure: were you transfering your Thunderbird address books on an empty Pocket PC ? (it's what I understood)
Did you create a new partnership ? In that case, did you choose "Replace" or "Combine" ?
Did you select the option "link address book to contact category" ?
When you say "all of the contacts were listed in one 'Default' phone book", do you mean on the Pocket PC or in Thunderbird ?

I ask you this question because on the pocket PC, there are no address books. You can only classify your contacts with "categories". That's why the option "link address book to contact category" is offered. You can then filter you contacts by category and move them from a category/address book to another one.

Regarding the "collected addresses", it's not normal.
Could you send to support your Preferences.xml file located in : C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\BirdieSync\ and the file ThunderbirdService.log in sub folder "log", right after you opened your BirdieSync option window.

Thanks.
Birdy

pewe

Post by pewe »

OK, I missed that about categories.

I will delete all my contacts from the phone, using SKTools its quite easy, and try again, then I'll send you the log file.

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

After deleting your mobile contacts, and before synchronizing, don't forget to delete the partnership, if you don't want to loose your Thunderbird contacts...
Birdy

pewe

Post by pewe »

I was going to do that - but thanks for the reminder.

pewe

Post by pewe »

Have just sent you the xml file

Thanks

pewe

Post by pewe »

I have a question about synchronising the Device to 2 different PC's.

How does Birdiesync know which address book is correct?

For example:

PC1 is sync'd with the PDA.
The PDA is then sync'd with PC2

So all three have the same details.

Later, whilst the PDA is connected to PC1 an address is removed in Thunderbird on PC1. Birdiesync removes it from the PDA on the next sync.

The PDA is then connected to PC2.
When the sync occurs, the removed address is on the PC, but not on the PDA.

How does Birdiesync decide whether to remove if from Thunderbird on PC2, or to add it back to the PDA?

The opposite of this of course is when a new address is added to PC1 and sync'd to the PDA, and then PC2 does not have the address when the PDA is connected - how does Birdiesync know not to remove it from the PDA.

Thanks

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

The main principle is that BirdieSync remembers the last state of the mobile and of the two desktops. Note that this memory is "stored" in the partnership.

So if you delete an address on the PC1, compared to the last state of the PC1, the deletion is detected and so the address is deleted on the device too.
Now if you connect your device, to the PC2, BirdieSync knows that PC2 state didn't change since last synchronization (remember that old PC2 state was kept). As there is a new address on the device compared to this last state, it is automactically transfered to PC2.
Birdy

pewe

Post by pewe »

Excellent - well thought out.

I will try it and hopefully it will all be as you describe