Birdiesync will not sync to default android calendar

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
philken

Birdiesync will not sync to default android calendar

Post by philken »

I am running android 4.1.2 on Sony Xperia T. The default android calendar is "Phone calendar". I have renamed my desktop (Thunderbird Lightning) calendar to "Phone calendar". Birdiesync has now created a new calendar on the android with that name , so I have 2 calendars with the name "Phone calendar". The problem is that entries made on the phone only appear in the original calendar, not in the one created by Birdie, so they do't get synced back tothe desktop. Does anyone know how to get BS to sync with the default calendar?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Birdiesync will not sync to default android calendar

Post by Birdy »

Hello Philken,

In which stock event account was your "Phone calendar" calendar ? Did you select it to be synchronized in BirdieSync app settings in Event tab, or did you only select BirdieSync account to be synchronized ?
Note that you can remove a calendar while your mobile device is disconnected with BirdieSync app menu "Remove calendar".
If you remove a calendar which has been previously synchronized with BirdieSync, don't forget to RESET the event synchronization in BirdieSync Activation tab on the desktop.

When you create a new event, don't you have the possibility to choose in which calendar you want to create your event ?
Birdy

philken

Post by philken »

Hi - thanks for reply. Default event account on the BS app is shown as BirdieSync - no other options available. Under that I have checked "Phone" and "BirdieSync". Othe options are com.google and something called SYNCM-ORPHANED, Local, which I have not tried.

Enties in to the calendar only go into the default calendar, not to any of the ones created by BS, and I can't alter the default calendar. It was all working fine ubtil the phone went back for a repair and they updated the sofware!

does this help?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I would try to also select the account "SYNCM-ORPHANED" in BirdieSync app settings. Maybe the "Phone calendar" calendar is located in this account.

If it still doesn't work, could you send your logs to support ?
First, transfer the mobile device log to the desktop with "Help/Transfer mobile device log" while your mobile is connected.
Then build the log archive BirdieSyncLog.zip with BirdieSync menu "Help/Archive logs..." and send it to support(at)birdiesync.com.
Thanks.
Birdy

philken

Post by philken »

Birdie - partial success!!. After I ticked the odd named account - SYNCM-ORPHANED, BS then seemed to identify 2 calendars called "Phone calendar". I fugured that if I could delete the one that BS had created, then it would sync to the correct one. The only way I could remove the BS created calendar was to delete the data in >settings/apps< and then completely uninstall the BirdieSync app and then re-install. Now the sync works OK from the desktop to the derfault android calendar.

However, the sync is in one direction only, it does not sync from the phone to the desktop!! Any clues on this?

thanks
Phil

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

A simple way to remove a calendar is to use BirdieSync app menu "Remove calendar".

If you don't succeed in synchronizing an event from the Android device to Thunderbird, did you have a look at this FAQ entry ?
Does it help ?
Can you confirm that you create your new event in calendar "Phone calendar" (and not in another calendar which is not selected to be synchronized in BirdieSync options in Thuderbird) ?
Birdy

philken

Post by philken »

I have investigated your suggestion. There is only one calendar selected on tghe Android - "Phone Calendar" which is the same as on the PC. The other calendar which is under google mail, is not visible and is not synced. Entries I make to the Android only show in the "Phone Calendar". Still only syncing one way. Any ideas :?:

philken

Post by philken »

Even more interesting - if I create an event on the Android, BirdieSync deletes it when I tryto sync it! So it can clearly see the new event, somehow it doesn't want to add it into the deskltop calendar! Sorry of this problem is goping on a bit, but I just can't see what the solution is.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

if I create an event on the Android, BirdieSync deletes it when I tryto sync it
In BirdieSync options in Thunderbird, which synchronization way did you select for calendar "Phone Calendar" ? Is it "Both ways" or "From PC to mobile device" ? Because if you chose "From PC to mobile device" that could explain why your event is deleted after being created on the mobile device: the Thunderbird calendar is considered as the reference and all modifications on the Android device would be reverted. So if you chose "From PC to mobile device", could you then switch to "Both ways" ?
Thanks.
Birdy

philken

Post by philken »

SUCCCESS!! Thankyou Birdy. I don't know why the setting had changed and I had forgotten that there was a set up in Thunderbird Options, but now that the sync is set up to go both ways it now works perfectly. Thank you for your patience and perseverence.