Sync-ing too many cards/contacts for far too long

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
squeezeit

Sync-ing too many cards/contacts for far too long

Post by squeezeit »

Hello,

I am attempting to sync an unlocked T-Mobile Dash Smartphone running Windows Pocket PC 5 with my Thunderbird address book and Lightning calendar.

I have a large number of contacts in Thunderbird - approximately 2900. However, when I connect my Dash to the laptop, the sync indicates that it is sync-ing 5000 cards.

Where is this number coming from? And is it a 2-way street in terms of matching the device to the computer so that they have exactly the same contacts?

Also, syncing takes up to 12 hours. I know I need to reduce my contacts, but I estimate that when I'm done, I'll still have at least 1000.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello,

That's not really normal. It should not take such a long time. :shock:
Does it block somewhere ? Is the time between the synchronization of two contacts very slow ?
Could you tell me if you are under XP or Vista ?

If it said that there were 5000 cards, it is generally because it counts the contacts on the mobile AND on the desktop. Could it be the case ?

After the synchronization, the contacts should be the same on the mobile and on the desktop. If identical contacts are present (duplicates) they should be removed.
Birdy

squeezeit

Post by squeezeit »

I am running XP Pro.

So, in the sync count x of y, will y always represent the sum of contacts on the device plus the contacts on the computer?

Also, if I am able to get my contacts down to a more reasonable number (my goal is 1000), do you know what my expected sync time would be, on average?

Thank you!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I think that "y" would be the sum. But this number can change depending on the synchronization stage...

I will do some tests for the time evaluation, but it should really be faster...
There seem to be a problem.

Do you have an anwser to the questions I asked you about the elapsed time ?
Birdy

squeezeit

Post by squeezeit »

To be honest, the time that I let it go all night, I was sleeping, so I'm unsure whether there was a place or two in the contacts where it stopped. Sorry!

I appreciate your help, and I'm really excited about getting this to work!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I did some tests. You can synchronize several cards per seconds. Of course, it will depend on your desktop and mobile speed. So it takes a few minutes to synchronize 1000 contacts. But to avoid slowing the synchronization down, don't keep your address book window opened (if you did), since it can take a long time to update the window...
If you still have speed problems, then I'll investigate.
Birdy