Cannot connect local server after Thunderbird 38.1.0 upgrade

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
mikeduncan177

Cannot connect local server after Thunderbird 38.1.0 upgrade

Post by mikeduncan177 »

Was running Thunderbird 38.0.1 and BirdieSync 3 beta 12 successfully. Then upgraded Thunderbird to 38.1.0 and found I couldn't connect to the Local Server.
  • The IP address and Hostname of the local server (my laptop PC) have not changed.
  • The BirdieSync menu Connection|Server Address... shows the correct values.
  • The BirdieSync window status bar (bottom) shows the correct Hostname, the correct local server IP address, but an old (now incorrect) value for the WAN IP (ISP assigns a dynamic IP address).
  • In Thunderbird's Mail tab, the BirdieSync status shows "Impossible to connect to server 127.0.0.1
I can still connect my iPhone from the BirdieSync app, and the local server's BirdieSync window shows "Single source ready to synchromize" as I would expect. I haven't tried to re-configure the synchronization configuration by deleting the Thunderbird source and re-doing it (mainly because I am still trying to understand your concept of local and remote sources).

If I try to sync, I get an error window: Impossible to connect to server 127.0.0.1
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan

dinchis

Re: Cannot connect local server after Thunderbird 38.1.0 upg

Post by dinchis »

Same problem for me - won't connect to local TBird with same IP address issue

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello mikeduncan177 and dinchis,

It seems Thunderbid 38.1.0 introduced a new change that prevent the connection. I'm investigating on this...

mikeduncan177, to give more detailes regarding "local" and "remote" sources:
Are considered as "local" sources, an Android device or a Windows Mobile device connected via USB to the server, or a Thunderbird installed on the same PC as the server. In this case, a user name and password is not required to connect.
Are considered as "remote" sources, Android devices or iPhone connecting via Wi-Fi and Thunderbird installed on a remote PC (so not on the same PC as the server).
Birdy

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Beta 13 has just been released and should fix the connection problem with Thunderbird 38.1.0.
You can update to this new ersion with BirdieSync menu "Help/Check for update".
Birdy

mikeduncan177

Post by mikeduncan177 »

BirdieSync 3.0b13 fixed the problem. FYI, I had to re-boot my PC (local server) for it to work!

Thanks for your fast response.

Your explanation of Local & Remote devices matched what I thought it should be, but when I was first working with version 3, I thought I found a report which seemed to have it backwards. I went back & re-examined everything, and I must have been mistaken, because everything looks fine now.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan